Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: penn reel

Default penn reel

i am wondering how much this cost??? hope i didn't get ripped off lol and if it is any good ???
    it says no.209 something like that :)

yup yup yup

Yah you got ripped off from the figures you gave.

Quote Originally Posted by lalo56 View Post
    Yah you got ripped off from the figures you gave.
    what are you talking about?

lol... Simply saying you didnt state how much you paid for it. I was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by lalo56 View Post
    lol... Simply saying you didnt state how much you paid for it. I was being sarcastic.
    yea i know
    i was being sarcastic too >.< it was 2 bucks at a yard sale lol

It looks like a jigmaster. I started off deep sea fishing with those. They arent all that bad. In 96 they sold for probably 50 bucks if i remember right. I've landed quite a few yellowtail and albies on those when I was young. I fished mines for two years til my pops bought me a shimano calcutta as a present for graduating high school. I never touched the jigmasters after that though.

Its a good reel to start off with if your new to the deep sea scene and for two bucks you cant go wrong. Just needs some tlc.

The 209 is a level wind reel... Think Jigmaster with level wind...
    OK for bottom/rock fishing with the level wind, but suck big time for any casting...

$2 you got a good deal.......
    I have bought them used, 10 or more at a time (bulk) for $10 each...
    R&R them and sell or donate them for $25+ depending on the Model..

They are work horses (will get the job done) for 20# line.... With little investment of $$.

The Penns have a multi part frame (old school) and not very strong...
    End caps are held in place by rods that go over spool and held in place by screws, this allows for Twist under pressure. Twist will disengage or bind gears and possibly grenade or strip them? Or at very least bind the spool against frame/ends.....

If the drag is even semi smooth (should start & stop without jumping and smooth) and gears all work OK, Anti reverse "always" works/engages (they have a tendency to work when they want to)..
    Then it is usable for up to 20# to 25# line... Drag will give you up to 9# or so if it works OK.

I just went Through 2 Penns for Bruce W.. Nice for what he uses them for.. Penn 10 for the kids & Jig for him???

I just came across a Long Beach 65.. *New In the Box*....!!!!!
    I am going to sell it, so if any one wants it (super collector item) PM me an offer...
    Owners papers in the Box are dated 1979 (copyright date)....

Last edited by Nessie Hunter; 01-07-2009 at 08:06 AM.

What you got there is a no frills leadcore reel, big enough to hold the 18lb stuff. Put it on a heavy bass stick and you're good to go for the deep fresh!

I've had jigmasters for 30 years , just avoid the ones with plastic spools ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast