Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: finally i got a swimbait setup!!! =]

Quote Originally Posted by BingJr View Post
    Ideally get your self a MH 6'6 Baitcasting set up, they can be gotten for relatively inexpensive and begin to master casting the baitcaster. I bought my 10yo one for his birthday in May and he loves it. Never wants to fish the spinner again. Although he does for trout and bluegill and such. Practice in the pool, park, front yard, local pond with an easy to cast item such as a texas rig worm, crankbait, jig, krocodile, kastmaster etc etc. Avoid a bait thats too heavy for your set up or a spinner bait as both are a little more difficult to master. Once you have the inexpensive MH setup dialed in, then you can set your sights on that Baitcasting Swimbait setup that will trully allow you to enjoy that style of fishing much more and you will be more effective in your presentations as well. I am not trying to down your stuff, but just give you some sound advice that you will ultimately be happier with in the future. Good luck with the venture which ever way you choose to go.
    the exact path I took on my road to greatness. Haha. The road to greatness is a joke but the rest is exactly what I did

HEY LOOKS LIKE FOR THE MOST PART EVERYONE HERE IS CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR CHOICE OF TACKLE SETUP, AND I DO BELIEVE

THEY HAVE GOOD INTENTIONS. I DON'T KNOW HOW OLD YOU ARE BUT I'M SURE YOUR OLD ENOUGH TO FIGURE OUT WHAT'S "GOOD"

ADVICE AND WHAT POST YOU CAN IGNORE. THAT BEING SAID I THINK YOU SHOULDN'T GO BACK TO THAT TACKLE SHOP! WHAT WAS IT? RICHARDS?

YEAH I THINK HE SCREWED YA OVER. I DON'T SEE HOW WHAT YOU HAVE LISTED COSTS $329? EVEN WITH LINE!

LIKE FishermanStu AND OTHERS HAVE SAID

IT'S PRETTY EASY TO USE A BAIT CASTER WHEN TOSSING THE HUGE SWIMBAITS.

"RICHARDS" SHOULD HAVE DONE A BETTER JOB ON COACHING YOU INSTEAD

OF TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING THAT WAS COLLECTING DUST OF THE RACK/SELF................

Sorry about the all CAPS

The rod was listed for $229? Ouch.

Cabelas has them on sale for $79 to $99.

http://tinyurl.com/a437np

You keep that receipt, bro?

I dont know what to say?????

Good job???

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    LilMystery,

I'd recommend getting yourself working on using a baitcaster before dropping that type of cash on a heavy spinning setup which is not very ideal for throwing big swimbaits.

In bass fishing especially, you want to learn how to walk before you try to run, IMO.

OH, and I remember the days when candid advice wasn't dubbed 'hating.'
    No kidding DS. A little "advise" goes a long way in fishing. It's one thing to be creative based on experience and fishing knowledge, it is much different to be steered in the wrong direction.

You are dead on, as usual.

Japo

Yeah, you definitely should return the gear. You can get Sedonas for $35 and that rod for $100. I cannot believe that that store sells Fenwicks (not the elite series) for that much. That limited edition powerbait is not better than the normal kind, but it's a decent buy b/c you get twice as much in the jar. So you didn't get ripped there. How much did he charge you for the Megabait? They are $15 for the old ones.

On the gear, if you HAVE to learn swimbaits first (NOT recommended), and you have that kind of cash, get yourself top of the line gear and be done with it. A Calcutta 400B and a Phenix Ultra Swimbait rod (Heavy Action) will handle whatever you want. A spinning rod and reel are not suited for swimbaits at all because of line twist, line cutting your hands with really heavy baits, bad action on the rod, and that most spinning reels are incapable of the high drag settings needed for swimbaits. It's way easier to learn how to use baitcasting gear.

As several others have said, it's a lot better to learn basic bass fishing first before you pick up swimbaits. Trout on powerbait to bass on swimbaits is a huge jump, and the learning curve will be really steep. Swimbait fishing is not something you just try out and get fish the first time out. You might, but that's really unlikely. Learn basic bass fishing first, and once you understand that try the swimbaits.
    Last edited by bsp; 01-13-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Wow thanks for the heads up. I will never ever go to richards tackle.It seems the people over there took advantage of you and your lack of experience.Take all that stuff back tell richard or whoever to shove it and go to sav-on and get a way better BAITCASTING setup.Also pick up some huddlestons.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    LilMystery,

In bass fishing especially, you want to learn how to walk before you try to run, IMO.

OH, and I remember the days when candid advice wasn't dubbed 'hating.'
    exactly what I was thinking, you skipped the whole regular baitcasting with worms and cranks and went to the most expensice style of bass fishing with the wrong choices...

and it's definitely not hating, it's solid advice...

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Yeah, you definitely should return the gear. You can get Sedonas for $35 and that rod for $100. I cannot believe that that store sells Fenwicks (not the elite series) for that much. That limited edition powerbait is not better than the normal kind, but it's a decent buy b/c you get twice as much in the jar. So you didn't get ripped there. How much did he charge you for the Megabait? They are $15 for the old ones.

On the gear, if you HAVE to learn swimbaits first (NOT recommended), and you have that kind of cash, get yourself top of the line gear and be done with it. A Calcutta 400B and a Phenix Ultra Swimbait rod (Heavy Action) will handle whatever you want. A spinning rod and reel are not suited for swimbaits at all because of line twist, line cutting your hands with really heavy baits, bad action on the rod, and that most spinning reels are incapable of the high drag settings needed for swimbaits. It's way easier to learn how to use baitcasting gear.

As several others have said, it's a lot better to learn basic bass fishing first before you pick up swimbaits. Trout on powerbait to bass on swimbaits is a huge jump, and the learning curve will be really steep. Swimbait fishing is not something you just try out and get fish the first time out. You might, but that's really unlikely. Learn basic bass fishing first, and once you understand that try the swimbaits.
    i know basic bass fishing if you havent seen my other post you should.... but thanks for the advice im going to laguna lake today just to try it out and if i dont like it im going to return it

Quote Originally Posted by lilmystery246 View Post
    i know basic bass fishing if you havent seen my other post you should.... but thanks for the advice im going to laguna lake today just to try it out and if i dont like it im going to return it
    return it while its new!!! and trust me the bass fishing you did is VERY basic, spinning setup, we mean basic baitcasting setups...

ouch i just saw the rods at cabelas!!! return them now and order it there!!! If Richards tackle told you to get that for swimbaits, he didn't do his job correctly IMO... but if it catches you fish, then by all means, keep it!

we're all just trying to help...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast