Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7/25 "The Wedge" pics and vids of epic surf

wow! I was encouraged to fish freshwater last weekend by a very knowledgable fellow at turners. Glad I did. 8 ft swells no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DCCTrouserTrout View Post
    Those are some cool pics. I don't think I have ever personally witnessed waves that big in southern cali...
    Yeah those were some of the largest waves I have personally ever seen, simply amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Spent a good part of my youth risking life and limb bodysurfing the Wedge. Got a few neck jams but still have use of all my limbs.

Thanks for taking me back.
    It looked pretty dangerous out there, certainly not a sport for the faint at heart....glad you never seriously hurt yourself. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by RL-IN-OC View Post
    Hi, Thanks for the awesome pictures! It was nice to see newports' finest in action. they work hard everyday to keep everyone safe, and the crowds under control. I hope you don't mind if I share your pics with some of the guards. they will get a kick out of seeing themselves at 'work'.

Randy
    City of Newport Beach
    Randy those guys did a great job out there and I encourage you to share the photos that is why I posted them...for others to enjoy. I may have a few more of the guys out there, let me know and I will either post them or PM them to you if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman65 View Post
    Photos for sure. The Harbor patrol gig is sweet. Thanks for sharing Aaron.
    They definitely earned their title the past weekend, glad you enjoyed the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    No one's said it, so cowabunga!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Or as Jeff Spicoli said to Stu Nahan in the surf scene "hey bud, lets party"

Quote Originally Posted by OMWAA View Post
    wow! I was encouraged to fish freshwater last weekend by a very knowledgable fellow at turners. Glad I did. 8 ft swells no thanks.
    Wingnut pulled it off and caught his PB surfer to boot!

TD

Default Wow

Nice pics TrouDog those are some nice waves looks like you had lots of fun taking pics LOL

Sean

Liked your pics. Liked the 1 with the Lady in it best, nice figure!

Default Wedge

Hi,

I posted some pics from the LG boat, in the Community - Phot Album Section,

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by fishincrave View Post
    Nice pics TrouDog those are some nice waves looks like you had lots of fun taking pics LOL

Sean
    Thanks Sean...I seriously must have taken over a 100 pictures. some of which didn't turn out so great, but it was certainly a great day to try and play photographer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky70 View Post
    Liked your pics. Liked the 1 with the Lady in it best, nice figure!
    Thanks Sparky, glad you liked the eye candy...one of the perks of living in Cali!

Quote Originally Posted by RL-IN-OC View Post
    Hi,

I posted some pics from the LG boat, in the Community - Phot Album Section,

Randy
    Hey Randy do you have a link you could post? It would be great to see the pictures they took!

TD

i know everyone thinks those waves are super scary and huuuuge but to tell u the truth anyone can swim out at wedge with a good pair of fins in the right conditions. its not a far swim and the rip is always in the same place and the bigger it gets there the safer it is. if any of u guys who do those underwater shots wanted, all u have to be is a decent swimmer to take pics there. if you are taking off on waves thats a different story.

Default Wedge

Hi,

I added a photo of the Piling support (community Photo/albums) that was broken off from the wave action. What is left hanging is about 15ft long, 50 ft sections broke off and eventually floated north to county beach, where it was removed. The wedge is a tricky area, especially with a front side break of almost 20ft and a shallow shore break. You won't catch me swimming there with 20 footers... True, the rip is always in the same direction. a regular boarder was killed that week, and lots of tired swimmers were rescued, a few had no business being out there, and were very lucky.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123