Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help choosing a tube

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need some help choosing a tube

hey guys well first off my name is Paul and im looking into buy my first float tube I have been looking into tubes and reading reviews for the past couple months. I have pretty much narrowed it down to The Trout unlimitied Togiak at $160 and the trout unlimited Kennebec at $170. Can some one with what the difference is i know the backs are different. Any advice is good advice. Thanks

i've been asking around about tubes too. from the input i received, it seems that the fish cat 4 is the way to go.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...kEnabled=false

WOW the fish cat 4 is sick I just bought the lost lake package for 109 and now wish I would of asked for advice oh well when you get your tube hit me up love to partner up

I have the Trout Unlimited model which I have also recommended to my bro-in-law and we both love them.
    The difference between the TU and Kennebec models is the storage and back supports. The TU model has the adjustable strap back support and lots of space behind the seat for wet storage in the mesh section(drinks, net, etc), while the Kennebec has a more solid back support with an inflated back section with a zippered storage pouch on top, but no wet storage area.
    It's nice to have a place to keep drinks cold (or as cold as the water is) and somewhere to keep a net (tethered of course) so it won't get in the way while battling a fish.
    You might try to find one of those flat bags that's vinyl on one side and mesh on the other with a velcro closure on top instead of hanging a stringer for the fish you want to keep. It attaches easily to the float tube D-rings with metal clips. I got mine at Cabelas years ago when I first started tubing and it won't get tangled with the fish you're fighting.
    Price is the other difference....whether you want an affordable means to tube or go the high dollar way with a fish Cat. I also have 3 boats to use to fish out of, so this works for me.
    Your choice
    TTFM
    Last edited by Trout-Tuna-For.Me; 08-02-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks for the input
    What is the flat bags you are talking about?

I would really look at the Fish Cat 4. I have the Togiac and it's a nice tube but the valves are not great and it has a lot of small storage pockets, which depending on your tackle can be good or bad. If I were to do it again I would look at both and compare the quality of construction and the valves of both and the storage compartments of both. Whenever I've seen this discussed here before it seems that most prefer the Fish cat. I know that the Fish cat is more money but they do go on sale from time to time.

I recently purchased the Creek company ODC 420 and think its awesome. Its got the boston valves so it take only about 2 minutes to blow up and deflate. Lots of decently sized storage pockets. Only complain i have is that it takes forever for the foam in the seat and backrest to dry. other than that its a nice tube, i got mine off of E bay brand new for i think a little under 120 shipped!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Juventino View Post
    hey guys well first off my name is Paul and im looking into buy my first float tube I have been looking into tubes and reading reviews for the past couple months. I have pretty much narrowed it down to The Trout unlimitied Togiak at $160 and the trout unlimited Kennebec at $170. Can some one with what the difference is i know the backs are different. Any advice is good advice. Thanks
    It all depends on your priority.
    If price is the most important factor the TU line is ok.
    If you can afford it, I'd step up to at least the Fish Cat.
    I own a Fat Cat myself, that I use for Day pack trips. I primarily use a PAC 800 or a Water Master for most everything else.
    LW

Quote Originally Posted by DccFISHerMan View Post
    I recently purchased the Creek company ODC 420 and think its awesome. Its got the boston valves so it take only about 2 minutes to blow up and deflate. Lots of decently sized storage pockets. Only complain i have is that it takes forever for the foam in the seat and backrest to dry. other than that its a nice tube, i got mine off of E bay brand new for i think a little under 120 shipped!!!
    I don't know if this will work on your tube but check the measurement and see if a Super Fat Cat inflatable seat will fit. I got a Regular Fat Cat and ordered the inflatable seat for it and it's more comfortable and you can dry it with a rag.
    Just a suggestion.
    LW

Quote Originally Posted by Juventino View Post
    Hey Juventino.....here is the scoop! I have a Togiak float tube and it was great for the first 3 or 4 months....then I notice that the seems on the outer cover started to split. Not good when you are on the water. Also the nylon that is used to construct the out skin is very thin and will start to break down the more direct sun-light it sees. Cheap Chinese materials!!!!

My advice to you if you only want to spend in the $170 range go for the Caddis Navigator.....one of the best tube for the money.

sonarbp

Paul, that flat bag I was referring to is like a creel. The mesh side lets the fish you catch and want to keep stay alive longer and won't be hanging too low while fighting another fish. I use mine when trout fishing and it saves time and hassle rather than dealing with a stringer for the fish I want to have for dinner. I found this creel which is very sililar to what I have....http://www.thefloattubestore.com/ind...mqei7t10l9frt0
    You might also want to check out these tubes......http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...entId=cat21276
    TTFM
    Last edited by Trout-Tuna-For.Me; 08-03-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast