Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conquest 50 or Core 50?

A while ago, I was in the process of purchasing a 50GT, but someone waved a Conquest 50 in my face. Wow, what a piece of work. Everything from its appearance to its casting and retrieving performance was just absolutely sick. I was flylining a tiny fluke 40-50 yards on 4lb, no problem.

Downside would be that it is hard to find replacement or upgrade parts for it.

Oh BTW, flipping from shore in SoCAl? Are you going to be doing it that often, cause if not, many other reels can handle it no problem and less $$$ too. Made for light applications, so it seems almost abusive to use it for heavier stuff. lol
    Last edited by calico killer kevin; 08-09-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Downside would be that it is hard to find replacement or upgrade parts for it.
    Upgrade? I dunno, some of these higher end Shimano's from Japan do a great job out of the box, without having to spend hundreds to upgrade.

As far as replacement parts? Apparently, most parts from the TE50 are interchangeable, aside from the few parts that set it apart (cold forged handle, drilled side plate). I've heard of guys sending the Conquest 50 to Shimano USA and having maintenance and repairs done without too much hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Upgrade? I dunno, some of these higher end Shimano's from Japan do a great job out of the box, without having to spend hundreds to upgrade.

As far as replacement parts? Apparently, most parts from the TE50 are interchangeable, aside from the few parts that set it apart (cold forged handle, drilled side plate). I've heard of guys sending the Conquest 50 to Shimano USA and having maintenance and repairs done without too much hassle.
    Really? Not what I was told, but if it's true, all the better. Ture that it is great out of the box. By upgrade, I was speaking more of tune-ups rather than upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    By upgrade, I was speaking more of tune-ups rather than upgrade.
    Ahh, man, those tuneups make the Conquest look even sicker.

Unfortunately, I have a thing abut paying $300 bucks or so for a reel, and $400 to upgrade it.

Ahh, man, those tuneups make the Conquest look even sicker.

Unfortunately, I have a thing abut paying $300 bucks or so for a reel, and $400 to upgrade it.
    Now it's like $400, and then those upgrade parts too have gone up. I'll get Bassart Knobs and maybe a Bassart handle eventually regardless of which reel I buy. A set of Carbontex for the Conquest might be good too.

CKC, it's not really abusive, since it's not going to be a true flipping reel. The pitching is a little different. It's not slamming a 1oz weighted tube or creature bait into the middle of tulle patches, matted grass, or thick cover and yanking a bass out of it with 65lb or 80lb braid. I'll get a Core 100MGFV for that next year if I do go up North for college.

What I am mainly looking for is a reel that can accurately and silently place unweighted or very lightly baits under overhanging branches and other cover. I know a Curado or Chronarch could probably do the same thing, but I want to get myself something special and have been eying a Conquest for a while. So, while it might not be the most practical in terms of price, it's been something I've wanted to get for a long time and finally have the money to.

DS, what do you think the line capacity would be like? Just curious how you have set yours up. Would it be a smart idea to put some braid on it with a short 14lb fluoro topshot?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    DS, what do you think the line capacity would be like? Just curious how you have set yours up. Would it be a smart idea to put some braid on it with a short 14lb fluoro topshot?

Thanks!
    6# - 120 yards, 8# - 100 yards, 10# - 80 yards

I have one that i love using 7# Shooter and will also alternate 8# Shallow, depending on the season. I usually find using the green Shallow during the summer, when there is more vegetation present. The 7# is usually on during the winter months.

I have a Powell
    702 CEF on that, and it probably is my favorite setup in my arsenal. I love using this thing with a lot of baits, but this combo excels in fishing 1/4 ounce finesse jigs, 4" Slim Senkos, the smaller Ika, 3" Cover Craw, small texas rigged plastics, and other 'bottom' contact finesse baits.

My second Conquest 50 I have 10# Machineguncast, or another copolymer, and a Powell 703CB. I use this to throw small reaction baits, from LuckyCraft Pointers 78s, small topwaters, small 1/4 ounce blades, spoons, flukes, and most importantly, those little small swimbaits.

They are amazing reels. They just have such a solid connected feel, that they're usually in my hand whenever i'm on the water.

The 100 size might be more versatile if you plan on putting anything bigger than 12#, or braid.

6# - 120 yards, 8# - 100 yards, 10# - 80 yards

I have one that i love using 7# Shooter and will also alternate 8# Shallow, depending on the season. I usually find using the green Shallow during the summer, when there is more vegetation present. The 7# is usually on during the winter months.

I have a Powell
    702 CEF on that, and it probably is my favorite setup in my arsenal. I love using this thing with a lot of baits, but this combo excels in fishing 1/4 ounce finesse jigs, 4" Slim Senkos, the smaller Ika, 3" Cover Craw, small texas rigged plastics, and other 'bottom' contact finesse baits.

My second Conquest 50 I have 10# Machineguncast, or another copolymer, and a Powell 703CB. I use this to throw small reaction baits, from LuckyCraft Pointers 78s, small topwaters, small 1/4 ounce blades, spoons, flukes, and most importantly, those little small swimbaits.

They are amazing reels. They just have such a solid connected feel, that they're usually in my hand whenever i'm on the water.

The 100 size might be more versatile if you plan on putting anything bigger than 12#, or braid.
    Thanks DS, I think I am pretty much sold on the Conquest 50. I'll put some braid and topshot the fluoro if I think I need to, otherwise I'll just nearly spool myself on every cast. It's not like bass make big runs or anything. What you said about it feeling connected is right on from what U remember when I used it. That's exactly what I like in reels. Even though the lightness of magnesium is very nice, weight doesn't bother me enough to be a huge factor in making my decision.

The bait rundown is good too. I'll have to remember to try those when the bass are finicky.

I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a Conquest 50, but I'd like to hear anybody's experience with the Core 50 or Aldebaran 50 before making a final choice.
    Last edited by bsp; 08-10-2009 at 08:42 PM.

I've heard nothing but great things about both reels, I'm getting a Core 50mg in a month or so for my finesse fishing. It's going to join my MG reel collection. 2 Chronarch 50mgs and a Core 100mg.

Marc, if you want to borrow either one to try out before you buy, let me know. I'm partial to the Conquest 50 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Marc, if you want to borrow either one to try out before you buy, let me know. I'm partial to the Conquest 50 myself.
    Thanks Arthur!

a biley, that's a nice collection! All it needs is a Metanium MG DC7, and you'll have the bases covered.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast