Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Rods, length and action

Default Rods, length and action

So, I do a bit of drop shotting, and was wondering what everyone out there is using as far as rod length, 6', 6'6", 7', meium action, light, just looking for some opinions.

Drop Shotting should be on a medium action 6-12lbs. I like a fast action for them to take the hook better as you won't need any power hook setting.

I've been using a Crucial 7'2" medium drop shot rod this year that I have really liked. I was using an Okuma drop shot rod 6'10" with lighter lines but I had a lot of fish come off and I think that the rod is just too soft. It handles 4 and 5 lb test nicely but the hooks just were not getting into the fish. I switched to the Crucial and the problem went away. I'm looking at a new Lamiglas drop shot rod for lighter lines,they have two models both 7'. One is medium light the other is medium, I may get the medium light or I may look to get another Crucial in the medium light. As far as length goes I like the 7' rods or the 7'2" like the Crucial.

For deepwater (vertical) drop-shoting, I have a couple of old Berkley California Finesse Don Iovino Series casting rods. They are both 5'6" but one is rated 4-12# and the other rated 6-20#.
    For my shallower shoting I have a Quantum Superlite PT704S for 6# and a Superlite PT705S for 8#-10#.
    LW

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    For deepwater (vertical) drop-shoting, I have a couple of old Berkley California Finesse Don Iovino Series casting rods. They are both 5'6" but one is rated 4-12# and the other rated 6-20#.
    For my shallower shoting I have a Quantum Superlite PT704S for 6# and a Superlite PT705S for 8#-10#.
    LW
    You have some of those old Iovino rods too. I thought I was the only one that still had any of those. Are yours spinning or baitcasting rods? Mine are both baitcasters and are rated the same as the ones you mentioned.

cumara 6'8" M fast action.. that thing is killer.. i can feel pretty much everything.

Quote Originally Posted by pupfish View Post
    You have some of those old Iovino rods too. I thought I was the only one that still had any of those. Are yours spinning or baitcasting rods? Mine are both baitcasters and are rated the same as the ones you mentioned.
    Casting...the same as yours
    Robert.

I have the Loomis ML DSR822 or whatever number it is. It is the heavier action rod of the two Loomis makes. My nephew recently got a Lamiglass 7' ML Certified Pro rod and it is friggin' awesome. I love my Loomis, but would trade him any day. He put away his Loomis DSR and uses the Lamiglass most of the time.

My opinion, go with a ML 6'8"+ rod. Get a rod that is rated up to 12lb. test. The lighter rods and just too soft for me.

i had loomis dsr820...just one word to it........awesome!