Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painting lures

Default painting lures

what kinda paint do you guys use to paint plastic lures like jerkbaits and cranks? im gona try testors hobby paint. seems like it works on plastic models. then im gona clear coat with a polyurathane spray. what do you guys think?

I have never painted lures as i have no art skills but i would think an air brush would get good results

yeah im not going that detailed. plus air brush kits are expensive. im just trying to save a worn out luckycraft flashminnow. i can get pretty tricky with masking tape and a exacto knife.

Hey VG.

Talk to Tj or Matt Duarte, they have been painting different baits with success. Definitely have to scuff the bait to make sure the paint adheres to it. Also different clear coats could be better wether your fishing salt or fresh water.

You can use rattle cans just fine.
    Practice on something first.
    They do a lot of the details with masking or just straight fades.
    The tiny details like the black stripes on baby bass type lures will require a fine airbrush or even a paintbrush. For trouts or sardines just use marker dots.
    For scales use fishnet stalkings or those holy pantyhose or fine mesh metal netting.

The hard part is the clear coat dude. That's all you have to worry about.
    I hand dunk my shat in urethane and hand spin each bait. That's why I can't really make them for anybody. I'm too lazy to make/pay for the tools to make my baits for me. At least I can control the quality and thickness of my finish though.

If you want clear in a can..
    Use what I used on my Sol reel. Krylon outdoor clear gloss. Will make water based paints run though if you don't apply in extremely light coats. Not exactly a bait sealer either so you should seal it first before paint/clear.

Lastly,
    anything you use in a rattle can, follow the directions on the can to the "T". It makes a big difference, and different cans will have different directions for all types of different paint. For instance, some want you to apply second coats within a minute, others after 24 hours etc etc.

See ya in the morning.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 08-23-2009 at 02:02 PM.

thanx guys. im just trying to save an LC. not woried about clearing it right now. just gona paint it and run it tomarow and see what happens. if it works good ill paint it agian and use a good clear.

Unless it's the albino LC, don't paint it. The worn ones always get bit better IMO.

Spray cans work, but becare ful with the clear. Too much paint and clear and the weight could be a bit over, messing up the action.
    Last edited by calico killer kevin; 08-23-2009 at 07:05 PM.

well this one only had a small ammount of paint on the back and belly. i painted it to look like a anchovie and gona give it a try tomarow. if it works ill paint it again but take my time and do it right. then ill clear it so it stays on longer.i also found a crack on the bottom after removing all the paint but its no big deal.

testors work great i use them alot but i also use taxidermy paint
    this one was done with testors

i take it ur using an airbrush?? whats a good airbrush kit thats decent for a good price?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast