Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Fishing Line ?

Default Fishing Line ?

Call me a newb but I have no idea why..

What is the reason to tie 50# to 20# lead? How long of a lead and why would you do this?

Braid to fluro or mono? again why would you need to do this?

Please advise, I need all the info i can get.

Thanks!

Fish can see braid so it lower the possibility for a hookup. Mono is much less visible. Fluoro is even less visible. Mono also "cushions" the hook set and headshakes so that when you hookup, you don't immediately tear the hook out of the fish's mouth or get rocked by a gnarly headshake.

Braid has no stretch hence the comment about ripping a hook out. Braid is normally fished around "soft" structure such as kelp, eel grass, weeds, etc because it just slices through vegetation. It is also used on reels that need the extra line to fight long running fish such as tuna, but don't have lots of line capacity. For example, braid with the strength of 30lb line is equivalent in diameter to 8lb mono or fluoro. If not fishing in lots of vegetation, use a leader of 5-100yds. The leader should never be higher lb test than the braid.

Fluoro has very little stretch, very low visibility and great abrasion resistance, making ideal for clear water fishing and/or around structure. never use a whole spool of fluoro unless you want to fish with a slinky. Only exeption is Seaguar InvisX.

Mono has lots of stretch and is a bit more visible than fluoro. Great for the budget fisherman. Very multi-purpose friendly line.

My personal preference for inshore fishing is braid with a 5ft fluoro leader and for pelagic fishing, braid with 10ft of mono and 5ft of fluoro. Lb test is a variable to be matched with the type of fishing being done.

Noob...

thanks kevin much appreciated.

Only things I would add to "calico killer kevin's" Statement is;

Braid is expensive, but will last for better then 10 yrs.....
    Will give you almost 3 times the line capacity to a reel.. (about 1/3 the diameter of mono)

So if you spool up with braid (Spectra) you can quickly/simply change out a few yrds of top shot of mono/fluoro and save a lot of $$$ & time..
    Also allows for 'quick' top shot change out, to match the line size needed..
    One rig will serve you well...........

Main reason for higher # rated Spectra to leader is that, you never want the Spectra to break off, just the short leader.....

Example:
    I have several Salt reels spooled with 80# spectra.. I fish anything from 20# top shot to 60# top shot on them...... I can also tie a new leader on to match line needed in a min or two...