Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google = Fail, Braid and Rod Guides ??

Default Google = Fail, Braid and Rod Guides ??

i couldnt come up with anything definite, im sure one of you guys here can help me out.

im thinking of switching a few of my setups to braid. i heard that over time braid can damage your guides??

through my research it seems like silicon carbide guides work the best, but dont want to put new guides on my rods. (lazy)

so is it true that braid will damage certain rod guides?
    thanks!

Yes it wears guides down because it picks up a bit of sand, debris, etc and rubs it against your guide rings, but the guides used by almost all major manufacturers will be okay. Anything from Hardloys to zirconium to SIC will handle braid fine.

thanks man! i didnt think of the line picking up sand etc... i thought it was the line itself that cut the guides.

Nope, just too much time on my hands.

Braid may be rough on some guides as said.... I used braid on my Shimano Crucial and the line passing through it sounded horrible and you could see marks of braid too.... I only use braid on my carrot stix because they have titanium guides....

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post
    Braid may be rough on some guides as said.... I used braid on my Shimano Crucial and the line passing through it sounded horrible and you could see marks of braid too.... I only use braid on my carrot stix because they have titanium guides....
    You might want to check those guides. If you use the Golds the guides are titanium coated and you could wear the coating off.

The Fuji Alconite and higher quality guides will definitely handle braid without a problem. Just avoid chrome guides and you should be fine.

CKC hit the nail on the head with the explanation too.

also dont use it on rods with aluminum oxide guides. it will cut that b!otch in half lol!!!!

Two items:

1. Check out Tackletour.com's current E21 carrot stick review. Page 3 shows wear from braid in a few days.

2. Manufacturer of the rod should warranty the guides and give you a new rod. At least that's my understanding with most manufacturers.

Fuji SICs are the best for braids. Virtually no discernible wear for many years.

UL

i use shimano rods and never had a prob with the guides and braid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast