Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to Diamond Valley lake- Release the striped bass?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiefishtaco View Post
    here's some pics

kill all stripers, big, small or medium....

Niiice feeesh Mr.Taco! ..sent ya a PM

Quote "Bblbasser,
    I would have to disagree with holdover trout. There are some good size ones in there all the way up to closing OCT08."

"OCT09". You said it I didn't. According to the marina folks, there were almost no trout caught withing a few weeks of the last planting last year until the first planting about two weeks ago. I'm sure there are a few holdover trout left in the lake, but nothing like it was even 2 years ago.

I saw the biggest wad of stripers last may (09) along the west dam I've ever seen. over 100 yards of nothing but big stripers (not just on the machine but with my eyes!). A solid mass of free swimmers. We didn't fish for em as we were fishing a dfg study for largemouth. It was F-ing unbelievable. Silverwood WAS a trophy brown trout fishery (prior to the striper hay days of Greg Silks, Del and Ken East), but stripers wiped em out.

I used to catch nice big holdovers, even in the middle of summer as an accidental by-catch while bass fishing on a regular basis. Not true in a long while (like 2 years).
    Talk to the marina folks (especially the guys down at the rental dock). They'll school ya as to what happened to the nice holdovers (LUNCH!).

DVL's days as a quality holdover trout fishery are over in my opinion. It is a put and take lake now, just like castaic, silverwood and skinner and pyramid. And when they can't find shad and trout to eat, they will turn to eating bass and smaller stripers and anything else they want. They are the top of the food chain. Scott
    Last edited by bblbasser; 11-04-2009 at 05:33 AM. Reason: fix quote

Default DVL Tuesday

Nice job Taco - good seeing and talking with you. My Dad and I had a rental also, just bass gear. Caught a few, 1-3 pounds, seems they are really hitting the small shad (1 inch). They were busting for a good hour. Only got bit on small baits. Will do it again soon.

Take all of the striper.

If we don't reduce the population we'll pay the price later. The long stringy striper don't taste as good or fight as good.

The Pyramid striper aren't near as nice as the Castaic ones. But you can catch all the 10-11 inch striper in Pyramid that you want.

The 10 fish limit is actually too low in the Southern District. 25 fish or unlimited makes more sense.

6. Default

Never knew Stripers were so controversial here...new to area, good to know.
    Alot of fish hate, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Never knew Stripers were so controversial here...new to area, good to know.
    Alot of fish hate, heh.
    Don't get me wrong. Stripers are my favorite fish, but I like big healthy ones better than anemic skinny ones.

Default Controversy?

There's no controversy w/ stripers in my book. They just change and dominate any fishery they get into and reproduce in successfully. They are, for me, the most fun fish to catch (pull harder than any other freshwater fish in CA, never mind the mind blowing topwater blowups) in fresh water (best eatin' too). I personally don't care about the holdover trout fishery at DVL as I don't trout fish except when I have to (about 3 months out of the year in Big Bear) and THE only reason I care about trout stocking there (DVL) is that it gets the stripers and big green bass hotter than they already are for swimbaits and big topwater.

Uncle Taco, good job, mayne.

The fishermen people don't care they will kill the mini or dd striped bass and eat em.

They will not do to catch and release, but some people do conservatives C & R.

Again, good work Monster DD striped bass

Quote Originally Posted by bblbasser View Post
    There's no controversy w/ stripers in my book. They just change and dominate any fishery they get into and reproduce in successfully. They are, for me, the most fun fish to catch (pull harder than any other freshwater fish in CA, never mind the mind blowing topwater blowups) in fresh water (best eatin' too). I personally don't care about the holdover trout fishery at DVL as I don't trout fish except when I have to (about 3 months out of the year in Big Bear) and THE only reason I care about trout stocking there (DVL) is that it gets the stripers and big green bass hotter than they already are for swimbaits and big topwater.

THIS IS IT IN A SINGLE POST/ B I N G O!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CONCUR!!!!!!!!!!Couldnt have said it better myself,,WTG,,,BBLBASSER

BUTTTT,,,,,Dont forget abought the mighty STEELHEAD,,,,,,When it comes to pulling and blistering runs,there hard to beat
    Last edited by trail blazer; 11-04-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast