Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: PIER FISHING set up HELPP!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default PIER FISHING set up HELPP!!

what do you think of this rig... it worked for me perfectly the first time but since then i can seem to get it right. I kinda learned from watching pier fishing in north carolina for corbina. There they have one pole rigged with a weight and the other one a self released rig that slides down the line. this works great for getting live bait far out or bigger baits that fly off when casted to hard

that rig seems better for live sardines or smelt.

There is one problem with this rig-- once the bait settles on the bottom, it is extremely prone to tangling up with the sinker. You will also run into problems trying to set the hook when you get a bite-- the way you have this set-up, a hook-set wont do anything to a fish.

You're way better off with a high/low rig off the piers.

Get some 3-way swivels for this. You can find Mustad 3-way swivels at walmart.

Other people prefer using dropper loops, removing the need for swivels altogether, and actually has advantages over using swivels. In fact, this set-up is popular amongst people targetting white seabass.

Hope this was helpful.

I use this set-up on piers lots of times with 90% on hooking up to a fish using circle hooks. Mainly use Dines or smelt, and would catch anything from Bonita, macks, halis, and sharks.

Lots of ppl look at me weird running down the pier with a fresh bait, then they'll see an extra line slide down and are like "wtf?"

Goodluck!

the crazier the rigg the better, i say....try a kite and pvc piping with a brown pixalated flute off a banjo string...i call it the I*E SHAKE and BAKE...SHHHHHAAAAKKKKE & BAKE...booyaaaahhhh...

sorry i watched taledegga nights earlier..lol

Default slide bait

try looking up the hawaiian slide bait rig. They use pretty much the same concept but have a split ring above the sinker dependent on where you want the bait to stop. You can also get weighted sliders. I've wanted to try this for a while on piers or high rocks here.

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/hunt...i/stopper.html
    This is the split ring I was talking about.

Hope this helps...Let me know how it goes.

I used to use that type of setup except I added a small rubber-core or a couple split-shots just above the hook on the slider.Once it hit bottom and sat for awhile,I'd reel up,rebait,and re-cast.Pretty effective on piers,bridges & high jettys.