Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My 1st time out fishing in 30 years, I caught 2 Bass at Puddingstone! A Newbie Novel

Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    Nothing wrong with keeping a couple of bass..

Welcome to FNN. Nice report =)
    Thanks!
    I've convinced my hubby to spare the LMB and go for stripers. We spent several hours fixing up our rods yesterday. We each have 2 rods. Well, I have a BUNCH more in the garage that I'm getting rid of because they were junkie garage sale finds...
    but I have 7 others that I'm keeping for salt water. 2 are for REAL heavy fish like shark and grouper. I'm looking forward to using them someday.
    Anyway, we re-spooled with moss green p-line 6 pound monofilament line, learned how to make "albright" knots and joined 20 ft. of seaguar florocarbon leaders on them.
    On our medium action heavier rods, we put (NOW DON'T LAUGH!) moss green p-line 20 lb test monofilament, with 20 ft seaguar florocarbon leaders on them.
    We also took off the line on all the hook snells and made our our own of florocarbon. If I have to tie another knot in the next week I'm gonna scream.

We're going to Castaic tomorrow afternoon! (A reward after my thyroid biopsy in the AM)
    If anyone else is there, give me a holler! Look for a lil 16 ft runabout. Cant miss her---sporty 1964 red and white speed boat with a reddish burgundy bimini top. And two fat people with 2 chihuahuas. hehe
    Last edited by MichelleBedore; 10-05-2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: fixing a typo cuz I'm a fuss budget, lol

Michelle,

You're too funy! Welcome to the site! If you ever get a chance to fish at Irvine Lake, pm me and I'll give you some info that will help you land some fish.

Jake/zzzfish

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    You know what? I changed my mind...

This IS the perfect site for you!

More bass recipes please ! Fish is good for the brain ...

Quote Originally Posted by zzzfish View Post
    Michelle,

You're too funy! Welcome to the site! If you ever get a chance to fish at Irvine Lake, pm me and I'll give you some info that will help you land some fish.

Jake/zzzfish
    Thanks so much! It would be wonderful to meet up with people from here at various lakes.

You Guys are killing me. Ha Ha Ha

Post after Post, Year after Year.

THOUSANDS of Tips, Secrets, Locations on the WWW on how to target LMB.

Then Whining about 2 Bass kept. Ha Ha Ha

Websites, Magazines FEEDING LURKERS ( the same guys that you b!tch about )

INFO on HOW TO TARGET THEM, When Where What is best to catch them.

If you guys cared about your local fishery HOW ABOUT STFU ?

Seems in 2010 CHEST PUMPING ' LOOK AT ME ' Online Boosts EGO or Whatever.

PUMP UP THE HYPE !
    PUMP UP THE HYPE !
    PUMP UP THE HYPE !

I fought online (and even got Banned ) trying to convince people to STFU about Lobsters.

I dove for Lobster over 20 years and we would be discrete and STFU

' DON"T TELL NOBODY NOTHING ' Attitude !

Then the 1980's came then the 90's and more and more people got computers.
    Around the early 90's more and more guys learned about fishing websites and how popular they were getting.

Then ' Online Chest Pounding ' and ' Look At Me ' became very popular.

LMB fishing, Hoopnetting Lobsters, Free Divers, Fishermen.

Hoopnetting, free diving has grown to a insane numbers of people targeting game.

Closed breakwalls, Lobster Cards, Crowds, Accidents, MORE REGULATIONS !

SPILLING THERE GUTS ON ' HOW TO TARGET ' Details, Locations ect.

Who Benifits ? Guys selling gear, and Everybody except the fish and the guys who watch the numbers decrease.

HOW ABOUT BEING DISCRETE ? Avoid telling locations, use PM for info.

Watch background pics. Give false locations where the fishing sucks.

If you guys think all those C&R LMB survive your dreaming.

Guy catches a LMB. Got to take a pic. Hey buddy, can you take a pic of ME !
    So I can show it off, Online !

You Guys and Your Cameras and Information are killing Bass !
    I had to throw in the towel on my Lobster fight.

Keep Posting but be DISCRETE !

Rant Over
    DR

Somehow, this seems approriate about now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQUE

LOL, Dockrat, don't worry, I doubt that fishermen will all rush to the same spots and take away yours or anyone else's chances of getting a fish. Telling people where the fish are, and what they are biting is only a way to encourage people who are otherwise not too successful on their own or simply sharing a hobby's tips with others. I am glad that people are so encouraging and helpful. Besides, from what I understand, being highly successful at fishing is a finely tweaked combinatin of the right technique, tackle, being where the fish are, and the moods of the fishies....And the alignment of the moon and stars and what the Farmer's almanac says and every Tom, Dick, and Harry's opinion. There is no way in hell everyone is gonna get it exactly right all the time!

Something you mentioned made me remember a question I have wanted to ask people..... How long can a fish safely be out of the water? Less than a minute? If so, then I guess if we all hold our breath while the fish is out of the water, that will be a great way judge how long and teach us to move quickly to take a photograph and then release them.
    Oh yeah, and so what if people wanna take a pic of their catch? Don't you and enveryone else take pix of our "achievements", whether it's a big fish, or your kid winning at wrestling, you wanna take a pic of it right? You better be a vegetarian if you are gonna start with the line about the fish being harmed. I am gonna KILL and EAT most of what I catch anyway if it's big enough and not a LMB. *winkie face*

I don't even go FW anymore just salt.

Showing great catches online is one thing. But some of the smaller fisheries can't take too much pressure.

Alot of LMB guys are totally into it and will travel to go were the catch is better. In the Saltwater if someone posts up a great catch and gives a location the next day you can have 50 + boats in a hot area.

All fish are different on how long they live out of water. Catfish can live a long time out of water. How you handle them determines there fate also.

1st You don't need a pic of every fish. Get over it. Killing some bass while you change batteries or get ready AIN"T WORTH IT!

Wet your hands and handle with care. Be Fast. Get them back in the water ASAP.

Take Palos Verdes a few months back. Some DUMBASS on BloodyDecks posted up that they were pulling 40 lb White Sea Bass over the rail. within 2 days there was 50 boats at Lunada Bay.

Fishermen call themselves conservationist
    These same guys are fighting MLPA. If they want the fishery to get healthy then why spill ther guts on the WWW with locations where 100 + Sea Bass get slaughtered ?

Watch these Axxholes take too long taking pics DR

Thank you for explaining, Dockrat. I think that the crux of this is that we're talking about a big difference between saltwater fishing than freshwater...I never see tons of people & fishing boats all ganged around a lake, even when all the hot spots are openly shared amongst others online. Sure, maybe after news of a DFG plant gets around, there will be tons more anglers, but that's only natural. A big difference is that the lakes are actually being stocked regularly; Not the ocean, so I can see why the balance could be thrown way out of line.

Anyway, about that video you posted. that poor fish...I think they made several errors with that fish...if they planned on releasing it in the 1st place, why was it in the wire basket? And for how long? Then 2 minutes out of water, being handled by everyone...then thrown sideways like trash over the side, to smash upon the surface....FFS, that's not a proper *catch and release*. "The one guy kept saying hurry, it's gonna die" was damn right, huh?
    What kind of fish was that, anyway? Acronym Definition
    GBSB Greater Buffalo Savings Bank (Buffalo, NY)
    GBSB Geometrically-Based Single Bounce
    GBSB Glucose Basal Salt Broth
    (I had to look up MLPA, too, but I got that one)
    LOL
    And I just want to say that the people on this forum weren't really hassling me about the 2 bass I kept...in retrospect, they were pretty gentle with me about it. Because of that tactful approach, I was able to have an open mind and not feel judged or resentful. That prompted me to investigate LMB fishing more, and discover that in the future, it would be best to release them, as that species is heavily fished and not stocked. Remember, I'd never even tried fishing for bass---when I pulled that 1st one in, I didn't even know what it was. It was a total FLUKE that I caught them. A lot of ppl I've talked to since then have told me Puddingstone is a "tough lake", so I guess I was just lucky and the "Fish Gods" wanted me to catch some for my 1st time out fishing as an adult. I can handle being skunked most of the time while I learn...as long as I'm picking up new info and insight every time, I will love going fishing almost as much as catching them. Ok, well almost.
    Last edited by MichelleBedore; 10-07-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Gahhhh! I keep finding typos!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234