Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DVL Hawgs! 4 lbs Fluoro (increase Odds) vs. Larger Fish Landed (Less fish on)

Default DVL Hawgs! 4 lbs Fluoro (increase Odds) vs. Larger Fish Landed (Less fish on)

As the LMB bite increases here at DVL weekend by weekend, I read peoples posts regarding #4 line, which increase your odds of more LMB hooked, or do you use larger # test line with a lower amount of fish hooked, but increasing your odds of landing the bigger bass? Good question right???

This Sunday, we had this debate on my boat. It was overcast, but LMB were hit'n on anything with Robo Worm Margarita Madness, really, anything. With some larger females starting to join the party, we hooked and landed 23 LMB. Many were dinks (1 - 2 #ers), but some nicer fish (3.2 and 4.6 #ers) in the mix. I stuck with my Seaguar #4 clear, while my fish'n partner switiched to #8 flourocarbon after losing a couple of nicer fish in the brush.

Total final score:

I boated 18, while he boated 5. And I won't talk about the several that got away because we know that fishing story?? So, by using the #4 Seaguar, I lost three really nice fish, two in the brush, but one at the boat, who decided to striped about 25 yards and snap off once she saw the net!! My heart was broken because I saw the fish..........you know the story, been there and done that!

So the question is......with the bigger fish moving in one by one, and there biological clocks ticking......what # test line, and what type of line? Do you increase your odds with lighter line, or do you increase your odds for the "Pig Kill" with larger # test line?

Need to know what everone is thinking on this one???

Thanks, Greg

stick with the 4#. you WILL lose fish. its a given. with proper boat control and manipulation with your reel ( loosening/tightening drag throughout retrieve ) you will up your odds. get bit first then worry about getting the fish to the boat. i try to plan ahead when making my casts. dont throw behind 2 large trees into and open pocket. pick your lanes. anticipate what the fish will do.

i feel i can pull on 4# damn near as hard as i pull on 10#. the right rod to line ratio i think is one of the most important parts. your rod is your cushion as is your drag. if everything's set right there's almost nothing you can do to break it.

i had a fish today around 5 or 6 pounds caught up on deep abrasive vertical cover. the fish swam through it then around it. there was no budging it. i pulled like hell with my 4# and felt the fish work its way through the cover. that stuff is tough! my line was frayed like hell but the 4# held up.

let your techniques dictate line size.

here's a rough outline of the line sizes i run. hope it helps you spool.

texas- 6# seaguar invizx
    texas- 8# seaguar invizx
    texas- 10# seaguar invizx
    split shot- 4# seaguar invizx
    splitshot- 6# seaguar invizx
    carolina- 20# power pro main line
    carolina- 10# seaguar main line
    dropshot small- 4# seaguar invizx
    dropshot big- 6# seaguar invizx
    neko- 4# seaguar invizx
    senko small - 4# seaguar invizx
    senko big- 8# seaguar invizx
    jig- 8# seaguar invizx
    jig- 10# seaguar invizx
    darthead- 4# seaguar invizx
    darthead- 6# seaguar invizx
    crank shallow-10# seaguar invizx
    crank med- 10# seaguar invizx
    crank deep- 12# seaguar invizx
    chatter- 20# seaguar abrazx
    blade- 12# seaguar invizx
    buzz- 50# power pro
    frog- 50# power pro
    topwater- 8# maxima
    topwater- 20# power pro
    topwater- 30# power pro
    swimbait sticks vary
    Last edited by Matt_Magnone; 04-25-2011 at 08:02 PM.

That's pretty good advice.
    When I'm using the right rod and the right drag pressure on good seaguar 4lb line, I'll break the handle off the reel before the line breaks. Quite literally..

Thanks Matt........great advice! I have some new fishing glasses on order, that will help seeing the fish in the stucture and knowing when they swim out of the brush..........

I guess I don't have to call you next time I want to know what to throw with what baits, right Matt! I will print that out and keep it in my tackle box! Great tips. I threw the 6# red lable last week with all senkos, not one break. 14 fish from 1/2 to 4 pounders. I will be going with the 4# next time. Good post topic!

Im sticking with the 6# seagar right now. I realize its not 4#, but its way better on my heart around cover! And i agree, if you have the right rod and the drag set right, your chances increase with any line size. Breakoffs are inevitable sometimes in cover. Good advice Matt... if you cant get a fish out of a spot, dont throw there until you can get a clearer lane.

Matts right. Fish 4 as much as possible unless using a higher profile bait. I fish 4 on drop shots, 6 on senkos, 8 on Carolina Rigs, 10 on cranks and spinnerbaits and 15 on jigs.

I would rather hook 20 nice fish and land 2 than hook 3 and land 3

Hope that helps

Great info Matt.

Default Great Advice!

Matt.....thank you for your response. I will be sticking with 4# for the most part. But I will drop some coin on some top line with 4# and 6# for finesse fishing plastics.

Thanks again...........

I have lost too many fish on 4 lb, I use 6lb flouro, I never lose one unless I am stupid and dont check for nicks in the line.

Just wait until you lose an 8lber on 4 lb, you'll change your tune.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast