Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DVL Hawgs! 4 lbs Fluoro (increase Odds) vs. Larger Fish Landed (Less fish on)

Default line size

Just went fishing with wastedyears666 his blog was LMB and CAT! Him and another fisherman both used 4 to 6 pound test and did not catch one bass. I was flipping heavy cover right with them using 25 pound braid with 10 pound floro and a 3 foot leader joined with a blood knot. I pulled in 3 including one 4.5 lb. And lost one to a bad hook set.

I dont think anyone mentioned you couldnt catch them on heavier stuff. I fish braid on EVERY rod I have. I fish flouro leaders from 4 to 15 at DVL. It works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JJT View Post
    Just went fishing with wastedyears666 his blog was LMB and CAT! Him and another fisherman both used 4 to 6 pound test and did not catch one bass. I was flipping heavy cover right with them using 25 pound braid with 10 pound floro and a 3 foot leader joined with a blood knot. I pulled in 3 including one 4.5 lb. And lost one to a bad hook set.
    I wouldn't credit the situation to line type..

I agree with both of you, all im saying is I didn't have to decrease my line LB to get the bite.

I don't think anyone necessarily implied that you would ALWAYS have to go to 4lb to get bit.
    Just saying you could maybe get bit better. (Usually the case in a tough bite)

Whatever you did to catch more bass than your friend is on your skills as opposed to his, or perhaps just luck.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-10-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Man your right on the money (again), my post was based on my opinion and my experience using heavy line over lite. I will simply suggest trying a different approach first before you go threw the hassle of putting new line on. In my OPINION 4 pound test isn't worth the hang ups and break offs. But like you said LUCK maybe I need more skill to fish 4 LB.

The best rod I have used (yet) for four pound line drop shot believe it or not is a Berkley Tactix Drop Shot/finesse 6' light spinning rod 2-6lb line. 1/16-3/8oz TXS601L

I can't break 4lb line on this rod. I can get away slinging senkos to the moon with it all day too, although way overloaded and not enough backbone.

It needs the forgrip cut down or cut off all together so that your front finger can rest on the rod blank for extreme sensitivity. This rod retails $53 at walmart. I got lucky and got mine for $13 on sale. It's the rod in the pictures I posted in this thread.

This rod is working better for me right now than my $229 cumara rod. I also don't mind beating it around cause I can run down and get another one frmo walmart and modify it again for less than shipping or gas to shimano if I break the cumara.

You may not be able to get away tossing creatures on 4lb line sometimes.
    Or maybe you can if your rod won't let you break the line..

Likewise, some really good inexpensive fluorocarbon line for the not so serious angler is the blue box Berkley Vanish 4lb fluorocarbon. An upgrade of course when you are used to this would be the Seaguar.

When I'm fishing 4lb I like to change spools of line about every other trip out, unless I use the entire spool in one trip. (reties and snags)
    I try to only spool 100yrds of 4lb on at a time. If using Seaguar this translates to a $7-$10 spool of line.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-11-2011 at 02:36 PM.

You know Tacklejunkie, I have two berkely tactix rods i got on clearance at walmart also, and just love them for dropshotting.One is a medium casting 6.5 and one is spinning medium light 6.5. I'm thinking of getting the 6
    spinning in light to try out, but was wondering if it's too light? I picked one up at the store and thought it was too light.
    Last edited by Goose10; 05-11-2011 at 02:27 PM.

I broke the 6.5 or 7' (forgot) spinning rod in the store testing the action.
    Might have just been a bad one?!

This one I have here is great.

It is too light. That's exactly the purpose of it. that's why it won't break 4lb line. And that's why you have to crank and swing like crazy with the hookset. But dang it is a great 4lb rod. I can bend it in a u without breaking it or line breaking! It can put respectable pressure on the fish.

You'll notice I have even cut the grip down a bit more since the older photo.
    Customization, man.

Looks like a $200 rod. Performs like one too. The 6' Light Spinning TXS601L Makes a great 4lb bass blank.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-11-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Not much has been mentioned on How/What you guys are fishing the 4lb. Are you guys talking drop shot? fly line senkos etc.?? Just curious what techniques the 4lb throwers are using?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast