Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DVL Hawgs! 4 lbs Fluoro (increase Odds) vs. Larger Fish Landed (Less fish on)

Senkos flyine,
    finesse jigs,
    anything you can hang (nose hook) on a drop shot hook like a creature bait flyline.
    drop shot
    wacky jighead
    scrounger
    light t-rig
    fine wire shakey head
    jerkin' small flukes
    flyline robos far
    nailed robos
    split shot
    darter
    etc etc etc

It's gonna boil down to the hook you want to use, and weather or not your rod will snap if it lugs a 16" worm on 4lb test. lol

Again, use light wire hooks on 4lb.

Thicker hooks will require rods with more backbone and therefore thicker line.
    A spinnerbait is not a good 4lb line bait.
    Neither is a Superline gamakatsu EWG hook.

When you start reaching baits 1/4oz or more, you'll probably need thicker than 4lb line also.
    A few long casts with 4lb line and a 1/4oz sinker t-rig and you will cast the rig off with a loud whip snap.
    Keep in mind adding a worm to a 1/4oz sinker T-rig increases the weight quite a bit.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-11-2011 at 05:56 PM.

kevin,
    the topic was revolving around the thin senko and the light drop shot i believe.

plain and simple. light line will get you bit more. heavy line will definately still get bit.

for instance. today i was fishing 15# floro on a specific technique in the trees while i later fished 4# on a thin senko. the 15# bite was simply a reaction bite where the fish saw it right in front of them in the blink of an eye. however, my senko bite was targeting post spawn lethargic fish where the presentation needed to be in the right place at the right time at the right speed. i absolutely believe that to fish the senko effectively in order to get bit, i had to fish 4 pound. for my particular bite, the fall rate of a thin senko, #1 mustad and 4 pound line makes the presentation i'm looking for excel.

if i wanted to speed the process up and make the bait sink faster, id increase my hook size, add a nail or increase bait size.

if i wanted to slow the process down, id up my line size or switch to mono or braid and use a lighter wire hook.

it all boils down to technique, water clarity, wind speed, type of forage and cover fished. clearer water;lighter line. dirtier water; heavier line. easy.

i throw extremely heavy lines for certain techniques while i'll use extremely light line for others. an angler doesnt need to drop their line size just to catch a fish. if the angler does drop their line size, they'll definately notice an increase in the amount of bites they will have in a day in comparison to if they had been fishing heavier line.

i.

Well said.

3 and 3.5# Sunline Metan Invisible, FTW! ;-)

And Magnone summed it up nicely.

heck yeah man!

lets go Zane Gray status and bust out linen line. start a "who can catch a bass on sewing thread thread"

When you guy's are dropshotting and the roboworm texas rigged 15 inches or so above the weight, what size hook are ya using? With the water this high in the bushes, i've had to go more weedless.
    4 1\2 Robo
    Last edited by Goose10; 05-18-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose10 View Post
    When you guy's are dropshotting and the roboworm texas rigged 15 inches or so above the weight, what size hook are ya using? With the water this high in the bushes, i've had to go more weedless.
    4 1\2 Robo
    i normally dont run that long of a leader. i'll let the fish tell me what they want. generally i find myself in the 4" to 10" range. i like the gamakatsu split shot/drop shot hook between a # 2 and a 1/0 depending on bait im throwing. if im throwing into cover and want it rigged weedless, i'll run either a #2-1/0 rebarb or an owner z neck offset hook.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234