Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trolling for Stripers

Default Trolling for Stripers

Use to catch a lot of hold over trout before the lake was closed do to low level and before the stripers grew up. Now it appears the nice hold over trout are no where to be found. Have the stripers basically taken over this lake??

Any tips on best technique for trolling for stripers??

Thanks

I don't know sir, but when you catch them kill it.

use umbrella rigs with some swim baits that are around the same color and size to the shad they have in there it worked great when i was trolling with them at silverwood back when i had my boat, use lead core if your not getting anything up top

Quote Originally Posted by christainmetalhead909 View Post
    use umbrella rigs with some swim baits that are around the same color and size to the shad they have in there it worked great when i was trolling with them at silverwood back when i had my boat, use lead core if your not getting anything up top
    This method will sure put fish in the boat. A rod and reel aren't necessary. You can drag an umbrella rig around with a rope attached to the back of your boat. Just pull it in every now and then to see how many are on. You may think you've snagged the bottom at times, but it's probably multiple fish that have hit the umbrella rig. Just pull in the dead weight and do it again until you have your legal limit. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    This method will sure put fish in the boat. A rod and reel aren't necessary. You can drag an umbrella rig around with a rope attached to the back of your boat. Just pull it in every now and then to see how many are on. You may think you've snagged the bottom at times, but it's probably multiple fish that have hit the umbrella rig. Just pull in the dead weight and do it again until you have your legal limit. I hope this helps.
    Gee...that sounds like fun

B/s hookup a 15lber and tell me about it, most people who talk smack about it usally dont know much about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    B/s hookup a 15lber and tell me about it, most people who talk smack about it usally dont know much about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    You're right TO, must people don't know much about it, but I do. I see people dragging rigs and pulling up more dinks than 15lbers. I know you know what you're doing out there and I'm pretty sure it's not your favorite way to fish. When you have customers in the boat, you need to put fish in it as well. I just don't think it should be legal to put out more than two baits or attractents on a single line.
    I'm also against gill netting.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    You're right TO, must people don't know much about it, but I do. I see people dragging rigs and pulling up more dinks than 15lbers. I know you know what you're doing out there and I'm pretty sure it's not your favorite way to fish. When you have customers in the boat, you need to put fish in it as well. I just don't think it should be legal to put out more than two baits or attractents on a single line.
    I'm also against gill netting.
    Wow, now we're comparing trolling for stripers to gilnetting.

The fact is most lakes in the southwest have been ruined by striped bass and whatever legal method a fisherman chooses to catch them shouldn't be criticized. The odd's are that the stripers will ruin DVL just like they have ruined Powell, Mead, Havasu, Pyramid and Castaic

T/O not only has proven to be very successful fishing stripers but has been very informative, often giving out advice.

Of all the guides and fisherman who render their opinions and information in this forum "TO" knows the damage stripers have caused to our SoCal lakes over the years. They have decimated a potential "trophy trout" fishery here at DVL, eliminated the possibility of catching 10lb+ largemouth bass catches at Castaic, Silverwood, Skinner and now Perris. In a few years (hope I'm wrong), DVL will end up like these lakes unless the limit on striped bass is removed and "striper derby's" become more available.

I would think local Bass Clubs would be more reactive to the possibility that DVL ends up like Castaic. I'm suprised there's no concern to this being a lake where stripers will be 95% of the catches and if a trophy largemouth is caught, you'll be lucky if it's 5 lbs (see Castaic upper lake reports, Silverwood, Perris, Pyramid, et al).

I don't deny the fact that stripers are a great game fish, good eating and a blast to catch, but something should be done now that allows other fish species to propagate and limit the striper population to some extent.

Maybe "kwin" our DVL Biologist can help us in this matter, or provide insight to this scourge.

Gobigal.

I dont think Perris is that point yet, but yes stripers will eat till there is nothing left to eat and need to be controlled any way possible, except the dynamite that someone mentioned earlier.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast