Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trolling for Stripers

Does anybody think it possible that the trophy trout fishery may have been ruined not so much by stripers as by a small group of anglers and pro guides who took limit after limit of multiple-pound fish out of there every day? They weren't breaking the law - but I sure wish legislation had been enacted to preserve these trophy trout. (Confession: I ate one myself. It was yummy.)

is that rope thing legal? if it is, i encourage EVERYONE to drag one behind their boat!

big or small; kill 'em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Get your Voice Heard! Stripers on Top of the Food Chain

I would have to agree on this one and can add a professional perspective to this post……
    Stripers have dominated most lakes in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. This argument is a double edge sword! Southern California is a “highly populated desert” where ground water and mountain run off from snow melt is not enough to meet, or sustain our communities and agriculture needs. On one side of the coin, Metropolitan Water District (other water agencies included), with State and Federal funding, has created these great lakes to hold surplus water used to sustain life in “all” communities. A secondary usage for these lakes is for recreation purposes, which includes fishing. The California Aqueduct system fills these lakes which creates a way for these fish to migrate, and then begin to consume anything smaller being on top of the food chain. Basic survival of the fittest! On the other side, the imported water has allowed striper to destroy our fisheries, and now, sometime in the future, the quagga mussel will be in every lake and begin clogging the pumping infrastructure which conveys this precious resource, water. This will cause our water rates to increase in the future because there will be a significant increase in maintenance cost to ensure water reaches these communities. Someone will have to pay and it always falls on the end user, the consumer. It is unfortunate that there is a need to imported water from areas where striper have already become the dominate species. I’m not sure that there is a solution for this one, but there may be a way to control the population of striper while protecting other fishery species.
    I have worked in the water/wastewater industry for over 25 years, and the best way to go about this is to get the word out to Bass Clubs, small clubs all the way up to the larger clubs that fish these lakes. Representatives from these Bass Clubs should attend Metropolitan Water District’s board meeting and have your concerns heard in unity. Write letters to the State Water Board in Sacramento, and include Fish and Game. The Bass Clubs should write and/or meet with local state representatives. These agencies must be addressed at the same time, making sure all bass clubs are on the same page, standing together. Just remember, these lakes were created first for consumer consumption for the communities, and recreation was just a secondary bonus to create a source of revenue. However, there is an environmental aspect to this problem and if Bass Clubs unite together as professionals, which we are, they will consider looking at a way to “control” the over population of striper. We just need to make sure our voice is heard in unity, continuously, and with volume, and the Bass Clubs is a great vehicle to be heard. Just remember, the squeaky wheel, gets the grease………..

bob the whole time i fished for trout ialways targeted holdover fish,and you couldnt even begin too count how many i put back because i knew they could not breed in dvl, there was a guide who sat at the marina all the time killing the stocked fish as fast as he could.now there mostly all gone ,but the stripers thrive in the res ,especially dvl so theres no better challenge to try to catch some big stripeys.go to san ant one time and this is what you catch all day long,most boats trolling cant get them to the boat,its not like sitting still the boat is moving and so is the stripeys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

two of these on one rig,sometimes with a broken third leader,,,,,,,,,

all day this action,,,,,,,,,

Hhahahahahaha I hope the Stripers take over all lakes!! Kill all lmb!!
    Stripers 0wn!! And yeah,those San Antonio pigs 0wn!
    We dont see many of those big units anymore...I guess imma have to take a trip up north!

I love the stripers! Love to eat them little dinks, love to fight them bigger ones. Still waiting for my 15 pounder and 20 pounder.

I know I should kill all the extras (over the limit of 10) rather than release them for the good of the lake, but still struggling with that in my own mind. If we release the big units though there will be more big units to catch, no?

I asked Kwin at the Last Chance seminar about why not remove the catch limit, and he said something about 10 is more than anyone can eat, which is true, but does not address the issue of striper population control.

The more stripers the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    Why don't you just throw dynamite in the water? Umbrella rigs take away the thrill of reeling in a nice striper.
    I'm going to have to dissagree with you on this one.

An umbrella rig doesn't slow a big striper down so you can notice it. For that matter three medium striper is a blast on the rigs too.

As for throwing dynamite, lots of people pull rigs all day for nothing. You need to know what your doing and be skillful at handling your boat to be consistent.
    Last edited by fishinone; 05-02-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Trolling, in general, is not how true "sport fishermen" prefer to fish. It is highly repetitive and as a rule, requires less skill than casting. However, the same argument can be made for using live bait. I have watched those suckers down there at Canyon Lake catch 30-40 fish per day (inc.10lb + fish) slinging a live shad about 10ft into one of the tubes. So I am inclined to think that Trout Only has a good skill set and is doing a service by removing these alpha predators form the local waters.

thanks jigstop,the bass boys love me cause i kill as many of the stripers as i can,staying within the limit laws,they know what they did to pyramid, castaic and silverwood , they wreck every lake they get into ,cause they are a saltwater fish terrorizing the fresh water fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast