Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trolling for Stripers

TO,
    I plan on using umbrella rigs the next time I fish DVL one up top and one on the Downrigger but my question is Most umbrella rigs I have seen have more hooks than legal to use in California. from the DFG regulations.

Fishing Methods and Gear Restrictions (CCR, T14, Chapter 2, Article 1)
    2.00. Fishing Methods -- General.

* (a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto.

So this is saying most baits on the rig with no hooks and three with. just curious?

I plan on going to meetings and will try to have the limit of largemouth raised to 10 fish per person. Get these green garbage fish out of the lakes. I like how people say stripers ruined the lake. I think they make them better. I have never seen a rainbow trout smash a Lunker Punker. Catching rainbows on 10 colors of leadcore must be so much more fun than throwing topwater plugs for vicious explosions.

OHH U ALL have TO BE KIDDING....

The post was asking about trolling..

I'm not even gonna start responding to the groves of ridiculous info flowing here....

Get with the program...this is wasting time and I'm not biting..

Go catch sum fish !...then go catch more...

see how your typing will change to a report rather than opinionated theories and malicious comments with alterior motives..

Go catch some fish....striper greenback or otherwise...

The worlds always a better place after that happens : )

Default DVL Fishery Plan

I agree that Stripers are a blast to catch, but so are other types of species. There was a reason that Stripers were not chosen to be stocked in the small reservoir in advance, prior to Metropolitan Water District beginning construction of Diamond Valley Lake. Fish and Game was involved in this process, and I’m sure this was one of their considerations. How they are caught do not concern me, but just increase the total amount of stripers one person can catch, or as some say, “harvest” per day, and you could potentially control the average size of the species, which would lower the average size of striper in the lake. This would allow other species a chance to reach a larger average size per fish as well. You know, it is sad that Small Mouth bass are not growing in numbers at the same rate as other fish in DVL. What a great fish brought into Southern California for us to enjoy catching, then releasing. There are not as many in Lake Perris anymore either. All of these fish could survive in DVL, creating a better fishery for everyone as long as one species doesn't become dominate over others.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Springman View Post
    but just increase the total amount of stripers one person can catch, or as some say, “harvest” per day, and you could potentially control the average size of the species, which would lower the average size of striper in the lake.
    Just the opposite is true re: averge size of stripers. Quinn the DFG biologist said at the seminar that we should pull as many striper out as possible so the average striper size would go up. Stripers also affect lake gamefish populations by eating up the available forage fish for the gamefish besides eating the gamefish themselves. They can even eat themselves out of house and home and end up with a lake full of small skinny starving stripers.

Lower the number of stripers in the lake > fewer but bigger stripers and more/bigger other gamefish

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldlim View Post
    Just the opposite is true re: averge size of stripers. Quinn the DFG biologist said at the seminar that we should pull as many striper out as possible so the average striper size would go up. Stripers also affect lake gamefish populations by eating up the available forage fish for the gamefish besides eating the gamefish themselves. They can even eat themselves out of house and home and end up with a lake full of small skinny starving stripers.

Lower the number of stripers in the lake > fewer but bigger stripers and more/bigger other gamefish
    Good points Gerald!

There are a lot of people making comments about stripers who have no idea what the are talking about!

Many people don't know that the stripers planted in Powell and Mead were believed to not have the correct conditions to reproduce.....WRONG! There is a ton of info on land locked stripers and what they have done to lakes!

One year at Powell me and a buddy were catching stripers at the rate of 50 to 150 a day 5 to 12 lbs. Mid day we would fillet fish and pass them out to any car that stopped by!

Two Utah Conservation officers(Game Wardens) pulled up to have a little talk! They asked what was going on, I explained to them we were catching stropers and giving them away and that I was leaving a patch of skin on for identification.

The Wardens thanked us and before leaving told us to KILL as many as we can before we left! this happened 15 years ago.

The smartest thing they could do to protect the LMBs, trout and shad at DVL would be to allow unlimited take on stripers because from what I see there isn't that many people killing that many stripers from DVL

I'm fairly new to fishing so I pretty much started out straight away on stripers. In all honesty they seemed like the most interesting game fish out there. It's like saltwater fishing in freshwater. I get that they are prolific and it causes problems, but why not put something in the lake's that can surive to feed more fish? Shad seems to be the only freakin' bait fish in their. Why not something hearty like Tilapia?

Quote Originally Posted by laserbrn View Post
    I'm fairly new to fishing so I pretty much started out straight away on stripers. In all honesty they seemed like the most interesting game fish out there. It's like saltwater fishing in freshwater. I get that they are prolific and it causes problems, but why not put something in the lake's that can surive to feed more fish? Shad seems to be the only freakin' bait fish in their. Why not something hearty like Tilapia?
    See this post re threadfin shad:
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...443#post541443
    While I completely agree with your sentiments about stripers being more fun to catch, it is generally a bad idea to introduce non-native species to other environments. Threadfin shad seem to be one of the few human introductions that do not seem to have had adverse effects on the environment to my very limited understanding. They were introduced to supplement the native forage base as they are plankton feeders that were thought would not compete with native species and gamefish fry, and they stay edible size to gamefish all their lives.

Tilapia are prolific mouth-brooding omnivores; they grow too big to be eaten by gamefish as adults; they eat the fry of other fish as well as being able to filter plankton; probably a real bad idea to introduce them. Other human introductions that have not turned out well are the case in point: stripers, as well as carp, cane toads, various plants etc.
    Last edited by Geraldlim; 05-03-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldlim View Post
    Just the opposite is true re: averge size of stripers. Quinn the DFG biologist said at the seminar that we should pull as many striper out as possible so the average striper size would go up.
    This is truth.
    Look at Silverwood and how many 1lb schoolies in there. Yes there is nice fish but the average is like 1-2lbs unless you troll or throw swimbaits.

Skyler and I took a couple thousand home one season and didn't make a dent in the population or increase the striper size in there at all.

People would laugh at us taking limits of 1-2lb schoolies but that lake honestly needs some mass thinning out. Less striper, more forage, bigger striper.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-03-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Interesting thread, albiet off original subject.

Up here in norcal, the argument is almost a complete contrast to the socal argument. The water lobby and powers that be want to see size and take restrictions removed in an effort to eradicate. This is rooted in deep politcal underpinnings, so I won't elaborate, but there is alot of us striper guys up here who release everything we catch, including yours truly....okay once in a very blue moon I'll take one home for the grill, but CPR is how I roll.

Stripers have co-exisited with other species in our Delta system for over 100 years. The delta still kicks out DD green fish regularly, but then again, it's a different ecosystem and our striper come and go, resident fish withstanding. However, they've come under attack and are being scapegoated by the likes of Stuart Resnick and his ilk over water rights issues.

I'm just sayin - Same State and fish, different opinions and challenges......interesting.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast