Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Tubin' Eastern Sierras 9/1-4/2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tubin' Eastern Sierras 9/1-4/2011

Arrived in Mammoth on the evening on the 31st (paid only $395 w taxes for 5 nights in a 1 bedroom condo).

Day 1: Hit Mamie at 6 am and was greeted with stong gusts, including some whitecaps. By the time I got my tube ready and waders on, it was down to a strong breeze. Jigged up 18 stockers with different colored power worms.
    In the evening, hit Lower Twin with only 1 stocker on bubblegum power worm. Grilled up steak and veggies at the condo.

Day 2: Drove up to Little Virgina. Was on the water by 6:30. Fish were rising everywhere. Fishing was wide open for me. The flyfishermen were checking out what I was using and some even asked (then rolled their eyes). Picked up 67 in the morning (quit at 11:00 for lunch at the cafe - excellent food plus Fat Tire on tap) including a 2# and a 4.3#. All were on jigged red power worm.
    Tried the evening bite at George for just a few stockers. Then to the Mogul for dinner (my favorite Mammoth eatery - the best salad bar in town).

Day 3 (my 16th Wedding Anniversary ): Hit Mamie again but started and fished only the inlet area. Picked up 21 stockers plus a 2# Alper. Orange was the color today.
    Suffered through the UCLA game at Grumpy's. There were at least 20 Bruins there partying before a wedding. Always fun to do the 8 clap in a bar...

Day 4: Went back to Little Virgina. Only a few risers all morning but did pick up 31 stockers plus a 2# Alper. Pink power worm seemed to be the hot bait. Had lunch at the Tioga Pass Mobile - the lobster taquitos are out of this world. This remains one of my favorite lunch stop in the Eastern Sierras.
    Tried Lake Mary in the evening - the first time I've been shutout at this lake in 18 years!

A fun trip. Lots of fishing. Left @ 5 am today (missed the wife and kids). No tickets but some CHP's located (that Valentine One radar detector is a $ saver).

Sorry, no pics (tried to post from my Droid but failed).

- Greg -

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Arrived in Mammoth on the evening on the 31st (paid only $395 w taxes for 5 nights in a 1 bedroom condo).

Day 1: Hit Mamie at 6 am and was greeted with stong gusts, including some whitecaps. By the time I got my tube ready and waders on, it was down to a strong breeze. Jigged up 18 stockers with different colored power worms.
    -
    Ba rookie and not knowing much about fishing, can you share how you "jig power worms"?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Bagger View Post
    Ba rookie and not knowing much about fishing, can you share how you "jig power worms"?
    Thanks.
    Here is what I do when I jig a power worm: attach 4-6 foot section of 2 pound fluorocarbon leader to your main line (I use back to back uni knots or a swivel) with a single worm hook. Use some weight to get the jig out there (I use 3 BB splits from my float tube or from shore I fully fill a small plastic bobber with one or two crushed BB splits to help the jig sink faster). Thread 3/4 inch of the power worm to the hook by inserting the fat end of the worm up the shank of the hook, making the power worm form a straight line. To jig, cast out, let the jig sink to desired depth (I roughly wait a second per foot of depth) then slowly retrieve (about a turn per second). When you feel the slightest resitance, set the hook. For this method, I fish with 2 pound test as my main line, especially from my float tube, on a 7-8 foot fast taper rod (more backbone to set the hook) rated for 2-4 pounds. I may also add some action to my jigging by pulling the tip of my rod 6 inches every turn of the handle.

Good Luck.

Fishing on your 16th anniversary? Where was your social director? No wonder your Bruins lost ... God was punishing you. ;>)

Nice job on the fishing and the report. I don't know nuttin about Mammoth fishing except where it's located. Why did you choose Mamie and Little Virginia ... vs. Big Virginia and the other Mammoth lakes? Just curious.

Great report Greg, Virginias are awesome this time of year and gotta love the powerworms. Im heading back up there a couple weeks and your report has got me stoked, bummer no pics tho. Thanks for sharing.......I feel your pain about the Bruins:(

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Fishing on your 16th anniversary? Where was your social director? No wonder your Bruins lost ... God was punishing you. ;>)

Nice job on the fishing and the report. I don't know nuttin about Mammoth fishing except where it's located. Why did you choose Mamie and Little Virginia ... vs. Big Virginia and the other Mammoth lakes? Just curious.
    I have a very cool wife. She did got to Vegas with "the Girls" to celebrate "entering the next decade" (can't say how many decades) last month. The kids either had sleep overs or went to sleep overs while I was gone.

These two are great float tubing lakes - relatively small with little shore fishing access so I don't become "a target" for those guys on shore. I also like to tube George (outlet), all three "Twins" (away from the weeds) and Gull (just off the Marina, around the tules and Brookies Hole). Missed out on Convict (tubing around the inlet), Silver (just outside the shore fishermen), Grant (the inlet when full) and Lundy (also the inlet) this trip. I also like to jig Saddlebag from shore. I still have not figured out Big Virginia (spelled it right this time) as far as tubing. Was guided flyfishing years ago. All those springs at June are too far to kick to in my tube.

My goal is Alper Hunting!

great report! i am very interested what condo you stayed in for that price. if i could get a price like that i could go more often. if you dont want to broadcast condo name in print my phone number is 9095937442. mums the word i wont mention any names, thanks

Great job! Good to hear such a slaying report

HOW in the world do you keep count to 67?!
    I tend to lose count right at about a dozen of anything. 12 fish caught, 12 laps around the track, 12 slices of pizza, 12 beers etc etc haha