Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's in a Striper's stomach

Quote Originally Posted by aquaflamz View Post
    I was out there with two friends on a rental. We didn't hook up with any striper but we were right there with all of the other boats that morning. We were dropping frozen anchovies with a weight and about a 3ft leader and also dropping and jigging a medium crocodile. CAUGHT NOTHING. One guy there said fresh mackerel catches the striper 10 to 1 compared to frozen anchovies. I'm going back this Tuesday and going to try again. What should I try? I will definitely get some fresh mackerel from my local store for bait. It looked like some of the other boats out there were catching on jigs cuz I saw them dropping them down and then reeling/jigging it in. What jigs are working? One of the marina staff also told me guys use home made white flys made from feathers. I'd like to try and make some myself. Any help here is appreciated. I'm not too knowledgeable on striper. I usually do more large mouth bass fishing.

Pm was sent to you.

It is imperative that everybody try to help cull these striper. Yes even you dedicated bass dudes. The more you cull, the healthier the LMB population will be.

Quote Originally Posted by JigStop View Post
    It is imperative that everybody try to help cull these striper. Yes even you dedicated bass dudes. The more you cull, the healthier the LMB population will be.
    That is NOT true. Do some research before you post something like this. There are MANY threads on here and online disproving your theory.

Default Dvl stripers

them stripers had chovie or dine pieces in there stomachs from the chumming people do.hawgstalker you better get a grip,the stripers of all sizes eat the bass, the longer the time goes the less bass you will see and the less larger ones. they have already distroyed the holdover trout population,the bass and bluegills and crappies will slowly deminish as the striper population grows . anybody whoes been around the so cal and knows the fishing history of castaic pyramid silverwood knows what happens. and when the big striper cows can put out over a million eggs everything else is doomed,,,,,,,,,youre right jigstop but i dont know if enough people can slay enough of them ,year round,,,,,,,,,,
    Last edited by TroutOnly; 09-13-2011 at 02:42 PM.

I agree with T/O. From personal experience the LMB and Trout fishing at the above mentioned lakes is not NEARLY as good as it used to be before the stripers came in via the California aqueduct (Skinner too)!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    That is NOT true. Do some research before you post something like this. There are MANY threads on here and online disproving your theory.
    Sweet!

Can you point me to some?

I'd like to get educated on the nuances of landlocked stripers in Southern California.

Where's Kwin/Guisti when you need 'em?
    Last edited by DarkShadow; 09-13-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Kwin, where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by JigStop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    At the seminar at Last Chance earlier in the year Kwin said that because stripers are so much more prolific breeders than freshwater fish anglers should remove as many stripers as legally possible or else they could eat up all the bait and fishes including stripers and bass would get smaller and smaller. So yes, according to DFG biologist Kwin the more you cull the striper population the healthier it is for the lake and the LMB.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Sweet!

Can you point me to some?

I'd like to get educated on the nuances of landlocked stripers in Southern California.

Where's Kwin/Guisti when you need 'em?
    I retract what I said. I thought he meant you should NOT be keeping stripers. I read it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldlim View Post
    At the seminar at Last Chance earlier in the year Kwin said that because stripers are so much more prolific breeders than freshwater fish anglers should remove as many stripers as legally possible or else they could eat up all the bait and fishes including stripers and bass would get smaller and smaller. So yes, according to DFG biologist Kwin the more you cull the striper population the healthier it is for the lake and the LMB.
    I heard the same thing from Kwin. Again, I retract what I said. I read his post wrOng. KILL THE STRIPERS!

You can only eat so much. I wish there was a "striper giveaway bin or stringer" at the dock so excess stripers could be put there so anyone wanting stripers could take what they wanted from there for free. Sometimes I release them cuz I have enough and my giveaway list is all used up.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast