Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: How do tubes/toons do in saltwater?

Default How do tubes/toons do in saltwater?

I am curious as to how toons and float tubes hold up in saltwater. I would like to get something that will get me out a little further than what shore will allow and would like to know the effects of saltwater on toons and float tubes over time. I'm sure if you wash them down after use it will increase the longevity, but I would like to know from someone with experience, how long will a toon last me if I fish saltwater often.

Tight lines

Not recommended for tubes to be in salt water, unless the surf is nice and calm..I mean dead calm, or you'll be in a for nice swim or a marathon of kicking to get back to shore.

Toon, great if you have a nice coat of paint to stand the salinity. Even better if you have a nice little motor strapped to the back of the toon. If a kayak can take on the sea, so can the toon. Just make sure to keep an eye out for your toon's air pressure. Two bladders being beaten up by the sun can expand quite a bit. Cheap toons will leave you swimming for shore.

Thanks AsianGuy. I'm leaning towards the Colorado XT. I don't plan on taking it to the surf, just around some docks and calm waters like that. If I have a regular trolling motor, and not a saltwater one, how will the trolling motor hold up in the saltwater?just wondering. As far as them holding up in saltwater, I'm wondering about the durability of the material against salinity.
    Last edited by Cadillyak; 11-01-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Using freshwater in salt water is not a good thing, since the casing and paint are not designed to stand the salinity and oxidization effect. However, it doesn't mean you can't use it in the short run, with proper maintenance of the equipment. You will simply decrease the lifespan of the equipment quite a bit, especially the motor. Worry more about the o-rings and circuit board, since it's not sealed like the saltwater motors.

Default Tube in Salt Water

Not that I want the extra company BUT tubes are perfectly fine in Salt Water. I have an ODC420 and have been using it in Salt Water for 4 years now. The only thing I noticed was the rivet drain holes rusted out in the first six month which was no big deal. Other than that all the zippers are doing fine with NO rust. Be sure to rinse off each time the salt water will fade and dry out the fabric if not. I mostly tube bays but I do venture out to LB Harbor often.

Obviously stay away from Surf Launches.

LBSea

Um I fish my float tube in the surf all the time. Watching the waves will allow u to enter the water with very little trouble. I've only been tubin for about a year now and have yet to dump my tube cause of the waves. All in all go for it man. Also I only take one pole with me cause of the surf entry is a lil tricky have had great success from my tube would love any tips or advise for halibuts

FNNers, at night.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonFish View Post
    Great night for extreme tubing. To bad the water is only in the 50's this place will really blow off when in mid 60's
    (took the neighbor out who im showing hot to catch fish pb checker and sandiesel )
    well same baits as last time same tactic and what not heres some pics of round 2.

OYA

YA.

Here is another Brandonfish post.
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...urnament-LAB-2
    DR