Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Fishfinder on Float tube??

Default Fishfinder on Float tube??

I was wondering if it is possible to mount a regular fish finder on a float tube, or is that just not practical. I have a deal on a hummingbird matrix 17 fishfinder, transducer and all, brand new for a very good price ($50), much less than a fishing buddy, and was wondering if this is even possible??
    Last edited by Cadillyak; 11-09-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Yes, lots of guys have done it. There was a how-to thread, either here or on the Float Tube Forum.
    http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/forum
    Sorry, but I don't have the link to the thread.

Yes, it's very possible. I've modified my Caddis tube to house the Humminbird 728 model, quadbeam transducer at the bottom, just towards the rear of the tube on a frame to prevent false signal from the feet and fins. Depending on what kind of tube you have, the transducer for the upper fishfinder models should always be at least 4 feet away from the any extension of your body that will be soaking in the water near by.

Here is how I have my Humminbird Piranha Max set up. Works well.

I attach the rod holder with a couple of small diamater rope loops, then bungy cord the bottom of the holder to one of the D rings on the bottom of the tube.

You can also get a small rechargable 12 volt battery from most electronics store. The one I have is about the size of four card packs. I bought it at Orvac Electronics in fullerton. They also have trickle chargers made for motorcycle batteries that work as chargers for these small 12 volt batteries.

Thanks to all for the help. I think I'm gonna go for it. Just gotta find out what to mount the transducer on.