Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 03-29-12 Report and Lake overview.

Default 03-29-12 Report and Lake overview.

Just thought I would pass along a few observations of the fishing lately at all ours favorite So. Cal Lake. I was there yesterday and the numbers of fish moving shallower is getting better each day. As the lake is dropping about a foot a week, it is nice to have more of a shot at the LMB as there is less and less cover each week. There are some good fish still on the nest to 8 lbs and the next full moon should be very good. The dropshot/T Rig bite is ok and gets better as the day warms up. Oxblood, Marg Mut, and green pumpkin are best. Not much Jig bite yesterday, but the C-rig bite is getting better each day. Is the lake as good as it was a few years ago? No. The stripers have altered it forever, but it still is alot of fun and a great place to get away from the crowd. The new "Norm" DVl limit is now about 12-15lbs and that is still a fun bag. Lake Perris has probably become your best shot at a DD LMB on a consistant basis, but DVL is still going to produce better than average limits if you work hard and follow the fish. Have a fun spring. Rick G.

Are you saying that a lower lake level gives you a BETTER chance at catching LMB? I always thought higher lake level=more fish caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    Are you saying that a lower lake level gives you a BETTER chance at catching LMB? I always thought higher lake level=more fish caught.
    Yes that is correct. The less cover there is the better shot we all have at even getting to the fish. There have been so many trees in the water that most of the LMB have been hunkered down tight and not even seeing our presentations. The high water is good for the spawning fry though. That lake fishes way better when the water is about 15' lower than is currently is. Rick

I respectfully disagree. It is common fishing knowledge that higher water equals more cover and fish moving shallower and more fish caught. Lower water equals fish moving deeper and tougher to catch.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Pq5...ed=0CB8Q6AEwAA

That lake was built with lots of deep cover, brushpiles and rockpiles. Dont worry, there is plenty even at a lower than normal level.

Both high and low water has positives and negatives. I agree with Rick because DVL's shore line is covered with a massive tree line in most areas and that makes it difficult to catch the LMB or make your presentation correctly. Even if your'e lucky and get a hook up the big girls love to wrap you up and break you off. When the water level drops more structure is revealed and the water is below the trees giving the angler the advantage on catching more bass. I wish the stripers could disappear because they are putting a damper on the LMB. Oh well, DVL will always be my favorite lake. My best LMB so far is a 9 1/2 pounder. I'm still waiting on my DD LMB.........
    Last edited by FrazeIb1; 03-30-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Interesting point and I respect that. But I've found that I've found MORE fish (maybe not the big ones) when the water level is up. And I'm talking about on the shore/shallow.

I think you both have great points. This last year, I bought my first bass boat and began learning DVL based on the lake being high. Great fishing season and I became spoiled reather quickly. With this said, I did lose several "nice" LMB by getting frieght trained as they return into the trees. It will be nice to fish the rock structures, most without branches, which I believe will present a better opportunity to boat much more bass.

Just my thought........

I've fished DVL since it's been opened, and like Greg I purchased a boat just to fish our beloved Diamond Valley. A couple years ago when the water dropped way below launch levels. My new boat was parked at home, but that didn't stop me I spent more on rental fees then I did on the monthly payment for my new boat. With the super low water levels, I had the best bass fishing of my life! Granted there was minimal boat/fishing pressure, but the fishing was crazy good. I must say as far as DVL is concerned I 100% agree with Mr Grover, the Jewel fishes better with a little less water.

Grover, I was out there yesterday too I was parked in front of you in the a.m. As we waited for the gates to be opened
    I found similar results. No jig fish and most on the C-rig. Was that Elvis with you in your boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Grover View Post
    Just thought I would pass along a few observations of the fishing lately at all ours favorite So. Cal Lake. I was there yesterday and the numbers of fish moving shallower is getting better each day. As the lake is dropping about a foot a week, it is nice to have more of a shot at the LMB as there is less and less cover each week. There are some good fish still on the nest to 8 lbs and the next full moon should be very good. The dropshot/T Rig bite is ok and gets better as the day warms up. Oxblood, Marg Mut, and green pumpkin are best. Not much Jig bite yesterday, but the C-rig bite is getting better each day. Is the lake as good as it was a few years ago? No. The stripers have altered it forever, but it still is alot of fun and a great place to get away from the crowd. The new "Norm" DVl limit is now about 12-15lbs and that is still a fun bag. Lake Perris has probably become your best shot at a DD LMB on a consistant basis, but DVL is still going to produce better than average limits if you work hard and follow the fish. Have a fun spring. Rick G.
    Rick, Thanks for the info I know you and your son have fished the heck out of DVL and its good to at least get an idea of what is workin for someone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast