Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: !st try catching crawdads at DVL

Default Catching crawdads at DVL

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldlim View Post
    I spent all week building my copy of a commercial crawdad trap.
    Finally completed 2 traps and put them in yesterday for a couple of hours at the saddle dam.
    Result - ZERO!

Moved them to the East Dam and left them overnight.
    Showed up early this morning full of anticipation.
    Result - ZERO!!!!

Bait used was cut up striper heads and bellies.

On the plus side I did pick up a couple of stripers each day fishing a couple of hours.
    Nothing huge, some nice schoolies up to 4 lbs or so.
    Is that even legal? Specially an overnight soak ? If it is let me know because DVL bass grub on the craws , I cant count how many bass I have caught with crawdad pinchers coming out of the throat.

im not 100%, but i believe if you gotta mark it or leave a way for someone to id whos trap it is or something like that...for the over night soak that is.....its been to loong since ive had a good boil

Crawdad use at DVL is restricted to those purchased from a bait shop that is licensed to sell baitfish and a receipt must be retained as proof. Transporting live baitfish IS illegal and a highly probable method for introducing Quagga Mussels or other aquatic invasive species.
    Traps can be used to catch crawdads in DVL, however the traps must be attended closely (within sight is my interpretation). Traps left over night are not closely attended. I can say that if a trap and/or it's rope interferes with my electrofishing activities, it will be removed, so I would advise against leaving a trap out. I've removed other traps, nets, unattended fishing poles in the past from other waters, this would be no different.

this is from dfg site : (c) Methods of take:Crayfish may be taken only by hand, hook and line, dip net or with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension. Any other species taken shall be returned to the water immediately. Traps need not be closely attended.

as far as over night im still looking.

also unless i got the species wrong it would seem we are not allowed to dip net for shad like everyone does.

5.65. Shad, American.

(a) Open season: All year, except for closures listed under special regulations.
    (b) Limit: Twenty-five.
    (c) Methods of take: Shad may be taken only by angling, except that a dip net may be used in the Valley District.

unless lake regulations trump dfg regulations?
    Last edited by ushone; 04-20-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ushone View Post
    also unless i got the species wrong it would seem we are not allowed to dip net for shad like everyone does.

5.65. Shad, American.

(a) Open season: All year, except for closures listed under special regulations.
    (b) Limit: Twenty-five.
    (c) Methods of take: Shad may be taken only by angling, except that a dip net may be used in the Valley District.

unless lake regulations trump dfg regulations?
    "(c) Methods of take: Shad may be taken only by angling, except that a dip net may be used in the Valley District."

Lol, THAT'S IT!!! The next "BIG" thing. Nano fishing gear! I'll have the best, and smallest IM 10, 85 mil graphite blanks on the planet! I'll corroborate with Abu Garcia and manufacture the worlds smallest Revo sx. Next I'll hire people to grow their hair long then cut it and use it to spool the reels.

Seriously, how do you "angle" for 1-1 1/2" DVL Threadfin shad, or 2" Delta Smelt? 2 1/2" Silversides?

bust out the ole ice fishing pole and a sabiki rig

bust out the ole ice fishing pole and a sabiki rig
    Lol, Uhhg, I can't, I left it all up in Minnesota. It's in my parents garage. My fold-able ice shack is there as well...

maybe just hand line a sabiki on a spool of 1lb braid?

also unless i got the species wrong...
    threadfin shad are different than american shad.

Although id love to pin a footlong american shad on a circle hook and toss it at some stripers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast