Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Stripers at DVL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stripers at DVL

Hello everyone. I've been to DVL a couple times trying to get some stripers and got skunked. I'm sure I just don't know wtf i'm doing cause I don't have much experience in freshwater fishing. I was thinking about going out again with some fresh sardines/anchovies but just wondering if a nice fish finder would increase my chances. I rented the bass boat last time and I don't think the fish finder on the boat was too accurate. There were times where the fish finder looked like there was a parade under the boat but when I looked, theres nothing. Any suggestions?

thanks!!!

I'm with you man, Ive thrown everything for them but the fresh, everyone says that's what you need. The fish finders on the rental are rubbish, i normally fish a drop shot just off the back of the boat and watch the screen while a friend works the trolling motor( if it even works ) and their is tons of times Ive caught fish with nothing on the screen and then theirs times I am in like 10ft of water site fishing and the monitor says theirs major life under the boat when theirs clearly nothing their. Wish i had some help, but i actually share your same frustrations with dvl lol.

lol yeah I haven't caught a single striper on a lure. Im going to give the cut bait a try soon. So you think a good fish finder would help?

Quote Originally Posted by ushone View Post
    I'm with you man, Ive thrown everything for them but the fresh, everyone says that's what you need. The fish finders on the rental are rubbish, i normally fish a drop shot just off the back of the boat and watch the screen while a friend works the trolling motor( if it even works ) and their is tons of times Ive caught fish with nothing on the screen and then theirs times I am in like 10ft of water site fishing and the monitor says theirs major life under the boat when theirs clearly nothing their. Wish i had some help, but i actually share your same frustrations with dvl lol.

I would hire a pro guide,it will realy help u and save u money on many skunk trips. Hope it helps

try going out where the water comes in go out about 100 yard from the point. Use fresh sardines and drop your line all the way to the bottom and reel in 10ft.that should work

Thanks, I'll try that next time i go out. What kinda rig should I use? Carolina? Or egg sinker straight to hook? How do people normally cut their sardines? Just chop it in to a few pieces? Someone told me to fillet it and hook a flat piece.

Quote Originally Posted by razar1345 View Post
    try going out where the water comes in go out about 100 yard from the point. Use fresh sardines and drop your line all the way to the bottom and reel in 10ft.that should work

Quote Originally Posted by trollmiester View Post
    I would hire a pro guide,it will realy help u and save u money on many skunk trips. Hope it helps
    I would aggree with this...

Stripers can be real tricky...

Finding them is really never a problem....finding the "ACTIVE" fish is another story...

time on the water will also help but with the assistance of a guide...you'll learn the in's and out's on what to do when U find them to asure your time is being spent with the best possibilities...

may be a little investment in the beginning but U'll come home with a wealth of knowledge and become a better fisherman because of it...

Pay close attention to all the details when out on the water with a guide....ask questions....make mental notes

Good luck,
    Gary
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 05-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by something fishy View Post
    Hello everyone. I've been to DVL a couple times trying to get some stripers and got skunked. I'm sure I just don't know wtf i'm doing cause I don't have much experience in freshwater fishing. I was thinking about going out again with some fresh sardines/anchovies but just wondering if a nice fish finder would increase my chances. I rented the bass boat last time and I don't think the fish finder on the boat was too accurate. There were times where the fish finder looked like there was a parade under the boat but when I looked, theres nothing. Any suggestions?

thanks!!!
    Hire TroutOnly guide services ! He does very very well on that lake ! Looking forward to your next report !

Fish are over at the inlet tower now..only a few in the deep water

http://www.wholey.com/sardines.html Here is a link for fresh frozen dines.