Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: crowley lake 5/5

Default crowley lake 5/5

fished long and hard today for a slow pick...wind was blowing 10 to 15 when got to the lake but luckily the wind died around 10 and never did pick up the rest of the day. we gave it our all today as we went back and forth from leighton springs all the way to alligator point. we fished the same 14 to 16 ft depths as we did in mcgee and caught a few trout but the fishing was really slow. my dad and i caught 5 rainbows between 745 and 10 am. at 11 we decided to kick in and head back to mcgee since fishing sucked. while kicking in i picked of 4 fish in 5 casts while fishing 8 to 10 ft of water. we ended up staying and picked off fish in flurries, working the shallower areas. i think my dad said he caught 13 or 14 and i ended up getting 15 to 20 fish. had a lot of short bites and pulled hooks. the wind never did pick back up and fished till 330. what a long day as the only time we stopped kicking was to take a piss.

what happened to all the float tubers? ive been tubing crowley for 20 years and this weekend at both mcgee and leighton springs area we only saw 3 other guys out there in tubes. back in the day there were tubers everywhere.

I think the gas prices might be keeping some people at home... I know for the opener I was camping in Rock Creek and on both Friday and Saturday night there were about 25 empty campsites...I fished the Upper Owens on opening day and there was very few fishermen, might add the fishing on the river was horrible. Never had a bite... Fishing Rock Creek there were few anglers.

I drove through Bishop on the Friday of Opening Weekend about noon, and I must say I was surprised at the lack of traffic in town. (We went varminting in northern NV). I agree that gas prices are likely keeping angler numbers down. Gonna head that way tomorrow, won't likely hit Crowley but 3-4 days in the Sierras in the great weather now present works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by retired96 View Post
    I think the gas prices might be keeping some people at home... I know for the opener I was camping in Rock Creek and on both Friday and Saturday night there were about 25 empty campsites...I fished the Upper Owens on opening day and there was very few fishermen, might add the fishing on the river was horrible. Never had a bite... Fishing Rock Creek there were few anglers.
    I think the accessibility for this opener really spread people out....same number of people, just waaaaay more fishable places to go helped with that crowded feeling.

That makes sense, Smitty. Didn't approach the matter from that direction.

Awright, I'm down the road!

I think Smitty is partially right on this one. There have been lots of complaints that last 2 years regarding the fishing, or lack there of, at Crowely. Once known as a hot spot the past couple of years have been very slow. There have been days when 2-3 all day was it and that's not what Crowley is known for. Especially when the majority of the people that fish that lake do catch and release, and the lake itself goes to CPR, with barbless artificials from Aug 1st on and you can only keep 2 at 18" and over during that time. I think we have been spoiled, but there should be a lot more fish in that lake?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike274 View Post
    I think Smitty is partially right on this one. There have been lots of complaints that last 2 years regarding the fishing, or lack there of, at Crowely. Once known as a hot spot the past couple of years have been very slow. There have been days when 2-3 all day was it and that's not what Crowley is known for. Especially when the majority of the people that fish that lake do catch and release, and the lake itself goes to CPR, with barbless artificials from Aug 1st on and you can only keep 2 at 18" and over during that time. I think we have been spoiled, but there should be a lot more fish in that lake?

Mike
    this time of year i think most people keep what they catch. there where a few boats that were catching a lot of fish but that was a few out of like 30 to 40 boats fishng mcgee. i think that super moon thing messed up the fishing that weekend too as the morning bite didnt happen which is kinda odd.

We fished Crowley 5-4 and 5-6 and did just ok. All nice fish, just not in great numbers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGrPg4NS9Yc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9xT...feature=relmfu