Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Hobie Mirage - Is It Worth It?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hobie Mirage - Is It Worth It?

Looking into buying a my first yak, and I want to get the right one the first time. I've fished off of a friends Malibu Mini X before, and that was fun, but the paddle was always in the way. I have seen the Mirage drive yaks around, and it looks like it would make for a much easier fishing platform that a traditional SOT. Just wondering if it is worth the extra grand that I will have to drop for the hobie. Thoughts?

I for one would love to have one but would not purchase one based on the price. I have a cheap kayak and regularly slay fish from it. I do envy these guys that can pedal around and have their hands free but for me I will just keep my paddle model. I have a hard time spending that much cash on a yak when I could probably find a good used aluminum boat for that kind of scratch.LOL! But like I said, I would love to have one and think that they are great. Just a little too pricey for my liking. If money is no object then that is definatley the way to go.

If you have to ask about the price............

Worth is in the mind of the beholder. See if you can't get a test drive in one. There is a Hobie dealer on San Diego bay would give you a test drive.

I am just curious about others practical experience when using these as a fishing platform. Price is not my main concern, more if the ability to have your hands free is worth the extra scratch.

I also totally get where you are coming from 5150, and if I had the space to store a boat, purchasing a tin can would be the way I would go.

Having a kayak would make fishing the vine a much more pleasant experience. Float tubing the vine is way to limiting. I wiant to be able to cover the whole lake if needs be. and the ability to troll would be nice. ;)

I really want a hobie mirage tandem, but dont want to pay retail for one,
    having hour hands free helps, especially if you are fighting something big, ie ray or shark,

I think its easier on the body, I have been caught paddling against the wind trying to get back to the dock, no fun, pedals and a paddle would have helped.

-bb

I have a Hobie and it is worth every penny. I have fished off of a normal paddle kayak and the paddle was always in the way. If you have the money the Hobie is definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Poxy Boggards View Post
    I am just curious about others practical experience when using these as a fishing platform. Price is not my main concern, more if the ability to have your hands free is worth the extra scratch.

I also totally get where you are coming from 5150, and if I had the space to store a boat, purchasing a tin can would be the way I would go.

Having a kayak would make fishing the vine a much more pleasant experience. Float tubing the vine is way to limiting. I wiant to be able to cover the whole lake if needs be. and the ability to troll would be nice. ;)
    The Vine is usually where I use my yak and going from a float tube to the kayak is great because I love to troll and can cover a ton of water in a short period of time. I would say since you don't have the space for a boat then bucking up for the mirage drive kayak is probably ideal for you. My kayak was bought on sail at Dick
    s sporting goods for $600.00 and is a 12'6" Perception Angler and came with a seat and also already had 2 flush mount rod holders and 1 rod buddy in front of me. Great deal and has allowed me to catch a ton of fish. But the main complaint I have about mine is that it has no rudder and when the wind comes up at the Vine it doesn't track real well. I would say that if you go with a paddle type yak make sure to not go cheap on the paddle. It can make a huge difference. As far as the paddle being in the way. I haven't really had a issue with it.

GO FOR IT !!!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...046091571.html

Hobie Mirage Outback Kayak - $700
    Date: 2012-05-29, 10:28PM PDT
    Reply to: 6drdf-3046091571@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Great Condition. Email for more info.

MirageDrive
    Twist and Stow Rudder
    Adjustable High Back Padded Seat w/ Inflatable Lumbar Support
    Two-Piece Paddle w/ On-Hull Storage
    Large Covered Bow Hatch
    Sail Mount
    Two Molded-In Rod Holders
    Rear Cargo Area w/ Bungee® Tie Downs
    Two 8" Twist and Seal Hatches w/ Gear Bucket
    Two Mesh-Covered Stowage Pockets