Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: splicing braid to flourocarbon

Default splicing braid to flourocarbon

Alot of people have been telling me that I should use a mono or flouro leader with my braid. I am not sure as to whether this means that I should have a lengthy leader of either of if I should splice the line to have a good amount of both lines. Am I making sense? The question really is, how do you go about splicing the lines without suffering line strength integrity?

I know that there are kits out there, but has anyone done this?

They are probably talking about a flouro leader from your braid,as braid can be seen in the water more than flouro.
    With that said the leader length is a personal preference thing.
    I usually use any where from 4-8ft of flouro leader,some people use a swivel to connect the flouro to the braid,but you have to keep in mind that you don't want to be winding or whipping a cast thru your guides with that swivel,so you have measure accordingly.
    There are different knots that you can use,and you can Google a knot tying site and try one thats comfortable for you.
    Another reason you might want the flouro leader is when you hang a lure,jig,crank,ect...and you try and break it loose with lets say 50lb straight braid (as I use in SW fishing)you'll encounter all kinds of problems,whereas with the flouro leader,it will break and you just re-tie.
    Hope this helps a little,there are alot of members on this site that I'm sure know more about this than me and I'm sure they'll share also.

Cya Tuna Vic

Uni-to-uni knot. Trim the tags as close as you can. It will spool and cast smoothly. Use a ten foot top shot on the end of your braid. If using flouro, loosen the drag. The braid has no shock absorbing properties and you'll end up snapping knots on the hookset. Mono is more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Another reason you might want the flouro leader is when you hang a lure,jig,crank,ect...and you try and break it loose with lets say 50lb straight braid (as I use in SW fishing)you'll encounter all kinds of problems,whereas with the flouro leader,it will break and you just re-tie.
    Hope this helps a little,there are alot of members on this site that I'm sure know more about this than me and I'm sure they'll share also.

Cya Tuna Vic
    Oh TUNAVIC, you hit it right on the head with this! I have lost so much braid these past few sessions it is not even funny. I felt so bad because its like I am polluting the waters with my expensive line and don't want the fishies getting tangled up on it (don't care too much about the birds though).

Thanks!

Thanks Skyler! I am going to work on this during my lunch break!

I agree with both guys. I know some guys that use 10 yards, but i use anywhere from 3 feet to 10 feet depending on my situation. But i always use the uni to uni connection. It's fast and easy to tie, and it holds up well for lighter line weights. I use it for everything ffrom trout to throwing iron at the cudas and yellows and has done great for me. I've even had instances where i'm moving a private boat trying to break off my stuck jig at the breakwall. Pretty strong cnnection.

And because the braid has no stretch, back off on the drags just a bit, and you should be good. I've actually found myself going back to glass rods or more composite rods for that softer shock absorption as well. I've found myself popping fewer hooks as well. Ever since i started fishing samurai braid to a short floro leader, i cant see myself fishing any other way. the increase in sensitivity is such a HUGE advantage, esp with potential light biters like trout and largemouth on the drop shot.

I usually tie a uni to uni to splice braid to my mono, but noticed that when casting, the knot from that uni to uni tends to hit my guides when it's going out and slows down the cast quiet a bit. Been trying the Albright knot and it sits a lot flatter on the spool and comes out smoother since it's a lower profile knot and is just as strong.

I'm using powerpro braid for mine along with 30# izor, make the loop with the mono and then wrap the braid around if you follow the directions in that link below and you'll see the difference between the uni and albright..

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special/

Hope that helps!

- Peter

one more thing when using braid to fluoro leader, use a bigger size hook if you like to swing hard for hook setting like i do

Thanks everyone for their contributions. I tried the Albright knot and it just doesn't seem to work well with lighter lines. The uni to uni knot worked well.

Here is the problem, in all of my excitement to try these techniques, when I finally got a finished product that I liked, I realized that I only had about 40 yards of braid left on my reel...Should have respooled first.

Epic Fail!

I use about 3-4 feet of mono tied on with an improved albright knot, way smaller then an uni to uni and stronger, not to mention way easier and faster to tie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast