Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: splicing braid to flourocarbon

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    I use about 3-4 feet of mono tied on with an improved albright knot, way smaller then an uni to uni and stronger, not to mention way easier and faster to tie.
    Woah! Look what the cat drug in! How you been, Adam?

I have used the Uni to Uni as well as the Pena knot but for the smallest, best casting, easiest, and fastest to tie I agree that nothing beats the improved Albright Knot.. I feel its the strongest too because your always using the mono or flouro on the loop end and by doing so your twisting the braid back over the loop which protects the flouro/mono from becoming damaged by the guides when casting. You can also super glue your knot once your done for added protection. As mentioned flouro gives an advantage in terms of line visibility. Although mono is more visible than flouro its' still an improvement over braid. The advantage of using a mono leader over a flouiro leader is mono offers more stretch than flouro and it floats. In most situations I use a leader when fishing braid and I use both flouro and mono depending on the situation. They both have their place as does braid..

JerryG
    Last edited by jerryG; 06-21-2012 at 10:35 PM.

I've had good results with the triple surgeons knot with a spot of super glue. I trim leader close and leave a little bit of the braid intact.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    I've had good results with the triple surgeons knot with a spot of super glue. I trim leader close and leave a little bit of the braid intact.
    Triple surgeon's is a good knot, and quick to tie. I use it to connect my tippet to my tapered fly leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Thanks everyone for their contributions. I tried the Albright knot and it just doesn't seem to work well with lighter lines. The uni to uni knot worked well.

Here is the problem, in all of my excitement to try these techniques, when I finally got a finished product that I liked, I realized that I only had about 40 yards of braid left on my reel...Should have respooled first.

Epic Fail!
    You have to use more wraps 30-40, connection will be solid.

tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Woah! Look what the cat drug in! How you been, Adam?
    Me? I've been around, where the hell did you disapear to for months? Lol

Here is how its done guys..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEYeUl5bBCA

JerryG

Another knot used by many is the Bob Sands knot which is a variant of the Tony Pena knot. The Bob Sands knot uses a uni-knot where the Tony Pena uses an overhand knot.

I use the Uni to Uni with 30lb Power Pro & 15lb Floro (10 wraps on each side) and never brake the line at the uni knot even when I get hung up. If you do get hung up with braid, wrap the braid around your reel crank or a pair of plyers and pull up. Never use your hands or the rod both are a no no.

For Floro leader length I use no more than the length of my rod and most of the time 2-4'. My purpose for using Floro is so the fish can't see the line coming off of the hook, it is VERY abrasion resistant and as a sort of shock absorber for the Power Pro that has NO stretch at all. Good Florocarbon is not cheap and does no good wrapped on the reel so I don't bother wind and extra twenty yards on my reel for nothing. If your Uni to Uni connection is wound into the reel it will hang up when casting and prevent a nice smooth cast. For that reason I only use 2-4' so that when I cast the knot is already past my eye tip. Works well for me!

Tight Lines
    Last edited by LBSea; 07-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryG View Post
    Here is how its done guys..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEYeUl5bBCA

JerryG
    Awesome link to an awesome video! Thanks! Much appreciated!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast