Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: splicing braid to flourocarbon

Quote Originally Posted by LBSea View Post
    I use the Uni to Uni with 30lb Power Pro & 15lb Floro (10 wraps on each side) and never brake the line at the uni knot even when I get hung up. If you do get hung up with braid, wrap the braid around your reel crank or a pair of plyers and pull up. Never use your hands or the rod both are a no no.

For Floro leader length I use no more than the length of my rod and most of the time 2-4'. My purpose for using Floro is so the fish can't see the line coming off of the hook, it is VERY abrasion resistant and as a sort of shock absorber for the Power Pro that has NO stretch at all. Good Florocarbon is not cheap and does no good wrapped on the reel so I don't bother wind and extra twenty yards on my reel for nothing. If your Uni to Uni connection is wound into the reel it will hang up when casting and prevent a nice smooth cast. For that reason I only use 2-4' so that when I cast the knot is already past my eye tip. Works well for me!

Tight Lines
    Yeah, I realized that I really only need about 4 to 6 feet of flouro leader snice I am fishing the bays and surf. The only problem is that I tie and re-tie so often, that I lose about an inch of line every trip and have re-tied over 10 feet of flouro leader in the last three trips.

I think that I am going to try the improved albright with about 15 feet of the flouro and see how that works out. I haven't had much problem with the line getting snagged on the cast yet, but I totally get what you mean about having too much flouro wrapped around my spool. Just no good.

Quote Originally Posted by ahi View Post
    Another knot used by many is the Bob Sands knot which is a variant of the Tony Pena knot. The Bob Sands knot uses a uni-knot where the Tony Pena uses an overhand knot.
    interesting! I will try this on my main set up.
    thanks.

That's nothing bro, I re-tie my entire leader about 5-6 Times each trip lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    Me? I've been around, where the hell did you disapear to for months? Lol
    Hunting season+Sheriff's Academy=No time to post

When I'm in a rush I'll used uni to uni, but like vanillagurilla has already mentioned--used the improved albright or alberto knot esp with the heavier lines. I'd suggest seaguar red label fluoro--it has little to no memory and is very abrasion resistant. Stay away from seaguar Abrazyx--more money and not really very abrasion resistant despite the name. Berkely vanish is way better than the earlier versions of this line and is more readily available than seaguar.

Default Double uni

Look up the double uni knot. When done correctly is the strongest and most useful way to run a leader with braid.
    you only use about 6 ft or so at a time so invest in some 8 to 10 lb flurocarbon (if your bass fishing) it is expensive but it's worth it. I say 6 ft cuz you don't want the knot in the spool, it should pass though the eyes just fine just be sure to cut your tags as close as possible. this really only applies to finesse baits, live baits etc. Whenever possible I go straight braid, usually using reaction and fast moving baits. Good luck man

It seems that the type of know may depend on the diameter of line used. Some work better for heavier test (i.e. 10 lbs) while others are better for UL.

I am curios what you use for 2 lbs fluoro to 3 lbs nanofil. The nanofil has reputation for cutting the mono or fluoro if I remember correctly.

UL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123