Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revo Toro HS 60 or 50 ?

Default Revo Toro HS 60 or 50 ?

Looking to get a nicer reel for my Loomis swimbait rod. I was thinking that since I'll be spooling up with 20lb. mono I might be better off with the 60 but if I can easily get by with the smaller 50 then I'd rather. Any experience that says one or the other?

Toro 50 = 300 size Reel spool...
    Toro 60 = 400 size Reel spool...

Same exact Reel, wider frame & spool, Both Cast amazingly well.....

I personally went right to the Toro 60.
    It is mainly used on Tuna trips for 15/20# line.
    Mostly for throwing on Paddy's & Med size Yellow tail & Dorado etc..
    With 50# braid & variable top shots (15# to 20#)....

Thanks Nessie, I'll be using mine for stripers throwing Lunker Punkers and Producers. No Tuna. I'm thinking the 60 may be more than I need. Bah! I hate indecision....

I picked up the 60 about 2 years ago. Had some issues with a design item, but thanks to a few people (Nessie Hunter for one) we got it solved.

I have used mine in the surf world and have to take it apart almost each time and clean it. Sand is not its friend. However on a boat it would be a great reel. That's where mine is going for now on. I just picked up the Curado 300e and will be using it mostly for surf fishing.

Good luck with the one you buy.
    WWO
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 06-25-2012 at 02:57 PM.

i have the toro 50 but would go for the 60 because of line size. IMO it is better to have more line capacity when the fish decides to run. also if you get 18 01 or 18 02 versions the issue have been fixed. good luck!
    Last edited by flipmlb; 06-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Good info guys thanks! Problem is nobody near me has the 60 in stock and the operators at BPS and Cabellas wouldn't know a 18 01 from 1776. I may be smelling a 400TE in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Good info guys thanks! Problem is nobody near me has the 60 in stock and the operators at BPS and Cabellas wouldn't know a 18 01 from 1776. I may be smelling a 400TE in my future.
    I went back and forth between the Toro 50 and 60 until I saw them in person. While I have big hands the 60 still seemed HUGE and seeing how I would be using it more in fresh water, big swimbaits, I purchased 2 of the 50's and was happy with them until I borrowed a friends 400TE. I then sold my 2 Toro 50's and purchased a couple 400TE's, upgraded them with ABEC 7's and am very happy with my decision.

Thanks Mike. Can you please elaborate... what is the ABEC7?

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Thanks Mike. Can you please elaborate... what is the ABEC7?
    ABEC 7s are Boca Bearing Ceramic Orange Seal Fishing Reel bearings, the kit contains 4 bearings, 2 for the spool, 1 for the gears and 1 for the crank. The most important ones are the spool bearings.

The Calcutta TE does not have disengaging level wind (impedes/slows Casting).
    Does not have short spool shaft (Effects freespool, shaft goes through Pinion gear).
    Also has 3 Spool Bearings (one is considered a Pinion Bushing - plastic bushing).
    This is also a diff size from other 2 spool bearings...

The TE is a great reel and most anglers will never notice the difference they cast so well...

You can get #7 Ceramics at Smoothdrags.com in almost any size and not in sets.
    Dawn at Smoothdrags knows the sizes you will need in 95% of applications.. Or will look it up for you..
    Ceramics are mostly wasted in other locations, many feel they are wasted as Spool bearings??? Way to fast = overkill??
    But they Work great for spool bearings IMO.
    Faster and takes less effort/energy to spin the spool/cast = lighter baits can be used...

The Toro & Revo series has disengaging level wind.
    Short Spool shaft (true freespool).
    2 spool bearings on the short shaft...

I am by no means a good angler, its just a hobby...
    But I can tell the difference in my Inshore & Toro reels and their casting ability.
    Its amazing & no Ceramics either!!

Plus you get a multi Carbontex drag stack & 22 # of very smooth drag.

Just the facts & my Opinion.............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast