Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revo Toro HS 60 or 50 ?

I don’t know about the current model Toro reels but the original ones that came out in September 2009 did not have a disengaging levelwind, they had a synchronized levelwind, which were the ones I had before selling them to purchase my TE’s. Below is the review on Tackle Tour. Now don’t get me wrong, the Toro’s are great reels but in my opinion, having owned both, the TE is a better reel. Yes they are more expensive and if money is the issue then the Toro is a fine choice, they will serve you well.

I agree that the TE’s cast well and are very smooth straight out of the box but I’m one of those that like’s to tinker with things to make them better, just look at my truck, HA! Yes there are 3 spool bearings, one of which is a plastic pinion bushing. On my TE’s I replaced the bushing with an ABEC 7 bearing, did this help, I think so but I cant say for sure. On one of my TE’s I did the complete kit, 4 bearings plus the bushing replacement but on my second one I just did the 3 spool bearings because I really didn’t notice that much of a difference from upgrading the gear and crank bearing, again just my opinion. Of course being the tinker-er that I am I take the time to upgrade bearings, polish all contact points and upgraded to Smooth Drags on all of my reels.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarevotoro.html

“Some might wonder if the Toro's synchronized levelwind affects the casting distance or not. Because of the wider spool, having a non-disengaging levelwind is beneficial as the levelwind is always aligned with the line on the spool. When tossing heavy baits the synchronized levelwind does not affect casting distance at all. In fact, the Toro was originally designed for tossing big baits such as swimbaits and large lures for saltwater game.”

Thanks for the Tackle Tour link Mike. This thread was becomming a TE vs Toro thing where I really wanted to focus on Toro 50 vs 60. That link did suggest that a 50 is plenty of reel for Bass and Skinner striper while the 60 is likely too much for what I need. You just saved me some dough and Last Chance just happens to have one in stock! So I'll be stopping on my way home from work tommorrow. :)
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 06-27-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Here are 2 Toro 50's for $150 each....

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/rod...-50-reels.html

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Thanks for the Tackle Tour link Mike. This thread was becomming a TE vs Toro thing where I really wanted to focus on Toro 50 vs 60. That link did suggest that a 50 is plenty of reel for Bass and Skinner striper while the 60 is likely too much for what I need. You just saved me some dough and Last Chance just happens to have one in stock! So I'll be stopping on my way home from work tommorrow. :)
    Good deal, like I said earlier, I went back and forth between the 50 and 60 then I went into BPS and actually held both reels and the 60 seemed huge compared to the 50.

BTW, if you havent purchased one yet, Tackle Warehouse has the reels in their Demo program where you can actually try out the reel before purchasing one. Go to TW, put in Revo Toro then Click the Demo this reel link located under the picture. Its a great program for trying out new reels.
    Last edited by Bassnman Mike; 06-28-2012 at 07:10 AM.

actually the toro has a non-disengaging levelwind system, another way of saying synchronized levelwind (maybe sounds better) but same thing. i prefer my reels with a synchronized levelwind because of 2 reasons;
    1. casts better
    2. there is less friction on the line when the fish runs

but on the negative side, for me this is not a big deal, when you decide to service your reel and put the spool back you have to sync it again....tight lines!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12