Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: UL rod for catfish

Default UL rod for catfish

So, i only have one rod for catfish , but i have PLENTY of UL rods and i was wondering if it is possible to use them for catfish .

Of course! That's the funnest way to catch them!

I like to toss out powerbait on a size 6 octopus hook with just a splitshot as weight.

Plain powerbait for trout without garlic.

I see a lot of people with big ugly stik combos and I think to myself: why!?

Thanks. what pound test ? and would this work at lakes with bigger fish like irvine ?

Quote Originally Posted by esteban1t View Post
    Thanks. what pound test ? and would this work at lakes with bigger fish like irvine ?
    if u want a challenge try some Ul with 2lb line but just be warn it will snap from time to time, i was at corona last week and had only 1 ul and got a lot of line snapped. tons of fun just be careful u never know when ur going to get the fish of ur life and with 2lb line and catfish always going for structure good luck

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/...-4-pound-line/

An 87 pound blue catfish was caught with 4 pound line at Otay Lake in San Diego.

I've caught hold overs on 2-4 lb test during trout season. Since its cat season now, I still use the UL but spool on 6# just in case.

That's all I fish for them with and works great. If there's lots of weeds in the water maybe 6. You should try like 5lb braid and tie on a leader it works for trout and cats without needing lots of gear

Be prepared for a long fight and make sure your reel has a very good, smooth drag on it.