Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Smith Optics: Anyone Own A Pair?

Default Smith Optics: Anyone Own A Pair?

Well the time has come where i'm in need of a new pair of sunglasses. I'm currently using Hoven Sunglasses($65)and after over 3yrs of constant abusive treatment they're starting to show some fatigue.

After searching various sunglasses companies, the one that really caught my interest was Smith Optics($200). I'm really impressed with the function and features of their sunglasses line.

Does anyone own a pair? Would like to hear some reviews.

Thanks.
    Last edited by smokinflies; 07-22-2012 at 11:41 AM.

i ran smiths for a few years. nothing super bad i could say about them but still had a few things irritate me. they were a reel nice pair. i wore the smith hideout in tortoise. only bad things i could say is the lenses scratched a little sooner than normal under normal wear and tear which they warranty. the last thing i want to do is change my fishing habits for the sunglasses i wear. other than the lense issue i had a problem with the finish flaking off. were talking maybe a year and a half. not something i was stoked about when buying a $200 par of sunglasses. i'm not pissed about it but it seemed a little weird. lenses also crackled on the inside bottom of the lense. i since switched over to kaenon and dont think i'll own another brand. my favorite by far. not overly heavy, great lens, great frame choices and not a terrible price tag. im running the kaenon gauge pinstripes with smoke lenses right now and they're my favorite pair yet. my last set was the gauge abalone frames with the smoke lenses. very easy on the eyes and frames were great.

Thanks for your input Matt. I'll have to check out these kaenon sunglasses.

I have some Smith evolve glasses that are great, I've dropped them countless times and even had a lens pop out and they only have 1 tiny scratch that isn't noticeable at all. I wear them everyday and all the time if I'm outside, had them for about a year so far with no issues. Far more scratch resistant then most id say. My next upgrade will be Costa permits when I have an extra $300 lol!

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla View Post
    I have some Smith evolve glasses that are great, I've dropped them countless times and even had a lens pop out and they only have 1 tiny scratch that isn't noticeable at all. I wear them everyday and all the time if I'm outside, had them for about a year so far with no issues. Far more scratch resistant then most id say. My next upgrade will be Costa permits when I have an extra $300 lol!

Thanks for the comments bro. Sounds like you abuse your sunglasses like the way I do. Seems like Simth Optics would be a good investment for me.

Good luck with the Costa purchase. Tight Lines.

SF, I have been a Smith advocate for YEARS. LOve em. I have had my share of warranty isues, but they are great about replacing them (If they still carry them!) That leads me to why I just bought my first pair of Oakleys which I like but don't love. Smith continuously changes their models, and I simply cannot find one I like! I need large profile sunglasses since I have a large face and that really limits me to two or 3 of their models. Had the Smith hideout and liked them, had the undertow (discontinued) which I loved. Good luck in ur search.