Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Help with deciding anything helps

Default Help with deciding anything helps

Hey guys im stuck between two reels that i want to get its the torium 16 or the 20 ... its nainly for jigging since i have the torium 30 which im going to load up heavier for bottom fish im going to baja for yellowtail and the end of august for mahi (dorado) im thinking anywhere from 15the to even 80in pound fish let me which one you guys think i should get ......... also if any tips on fishing the sea of cortez im going to bahia de los angeles i am more than willing to try stuff out thanks for your time.......

jigging as in what type? butterfly, yo yo or surface? if you got your eyes on shimano torium i would choose the TOR30 with 40# for the surface jig. TOR30 with 65 spec to 50yds of 50# top shot for the yo yo. enough line to gain a little stretch to apply more drag pressure. im not fond of the butterly jig style of fishing but id recommend a 20 or 30 size reel. even though the fish you're going for may not exceed what you think, try not to sacrifice line capacity. rod choice with the reel of your choice can be almost more critical than the reel by itself. the rod and reel need to be matched together to make the total package. hope this helps. between the two reels you mentioned you wanted; the 20 would fit a little more than the 16