Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Bass Fishing Newbie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bass Fishing Newbie

I am new to bass fishing and my daughter bought me some gear for Christmas. I'd like to go fishing/catching from the shore at Diamond Valley on Saturday. Any tips or suggestions?

Can someone new catch bass at Diamond Valley at this time of year?

I have been fishing Dvl for 6 years now weakly. If I had to tie on one pole to catch fish for my friend it would be a drop shot. Rig your pole up with 6lb line. Then tie a drop shot rig by learning it here http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/drop-shot-rig/. Use a drop shot/split shot hook found Walmart and a 1/8 ounce drop shot weight. Make the distance between the hook and weight 6". Then any 4" straight tail worm in brown, pink, purple, green. Nose hook the worm. Then walk the shore and make angled casts. Real it in and softly shimmy it so the worm vibrates.

Now there are a thousand ways to fish worms, some argue 4lb line, 6" worms, ect. But there are a ton of trees in the water so plan to loose hooks and weights. Do this method and you can't miss.

Thanks for the tip. Can I use this method from shore?

Quote Originally Posted by rdub2008 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Can I use this method from shore?
    So how did you do? Bass fishing slows in January and expect just a couple walking the shore.

Not too well. Bird nested my reel on the 4th cast. Also, was expecting some docks or structure but there are none to fish.

LOL! This is Socal. hard to find good structure at alot of lakes esp. shore fishing
    Not too well. Bird nested my reel on the 4th cast. Also, was expecting some docks or structure but there are none to fish.

Try dropshotting in the perris marina

Id recommend bait fishing for striper from a boat and waiting until april to begin as a bass fisherman. Lots of bass to be caught but deep 60' water ect. DVL has plenty of stuff to fish just no docks. The 45 degree banks are loaded with trees, boulders, secondary points ect and it is a hard lake to learn. Don't give up.

9. Default

If you want a lot of visible cover, DVL isn't your best bet, as you found. Perris has some docks, Skinner has lots of reeds, and Puddingstone has plenty of brush...