Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lobster report cards ?

Default Lobster report cards ?

I posted this on BD in response to a couple of comments, so I thought I'd repost the info here...
    Mike, Al, and I represent about 30,000 Recreational Report Card holders on the Lobster FMP Advisory committee...DFG has asked us to come up with a way to reduce our effort as hoopers and divers in order to keep our resource a sustainable one. Myself, along with the other committee members refuse to make any action on future reg. changes until we get good numbers from the report card returns.
    14% to 20% is PISS POOR RETURNS...and no way can I ever feel good about making reg. changes based on these returns while the DFG guesses on the other 80% of our possible recreational catch.
    Most guys I talk to that didn't turn in their cards are the ones that bought it then didn't go out or didn't catch anything, so they felt it wasn't important to turn in. The Zeros are just as important as the 7's...maybe even more important. And then there is the estimated 10 to 15% that DON'T TRUST THE DFG and will not turn in their cards!!!!
    The proposal to make the cards seasonal is a very important factor in getting good scientific info on our local Bugs. With the yearly card it was just too long a lag between getting the complete season info together.
    I proposed having a survey card at the places where you buy your report card and if a person didn't turn in their report card the previous season they could fill out the survey card and estimate their number of trips and Bugs caught and then get their new card....The DFG said that this would allow a lot of folks to give false info on the survey, and they felt that "No Info was better than Bad Info"...so...they added a $20 FEE to get a new card, if you didn't turn in your old one. It's called a FEE to be used to recover the lost info and not a FINE....to establish a fine the DFG would have to go through more regulatory steps and it would slow down the process and we would not be able to achieve the seasonal change by the 2014 season.
    Saluki..."That blows monkey balls!"....WHY?...just send it in by snail mail or report online and you won't be charged the $20.
    You guys can distrust the DFG all you want...yes I know we got it slammed up our Butts on the MLPA's...If I sat on my hands and let the DFG make all the decisions, then I think we'd get it up the Butt again, so Al, Mike and I are trying to protect our rights as best we can against the MACHINE...please support us as we represent your rights to a fresh caught Lobster dinner!
    This Report Card change was just proposed to the DFG Commission before Christmas...there is still plenty of time to voice your opinion by writing a letter to the Commission, or going to their next meeting and speaking up, or you can attend the next LOBSTER FMP Meeting in February at the Los Alamitos office...or send me an Email with your suggestions and I'll read it at the next FMP meeting...jsalazarhoop@gmail.com!
    Unlike fishermen we have no organized group to represent us as Lobster Hoopers and Divers...We need feedback from our constituency...if you have something helpful and creative to say about our lobster resource....then speak-up.
    I hope I relayed all the info I had correctly...
    Happy New Year
    Jim / Saba Slayer

Here is a tip to get better numbers:

I agree that a new card should cost more. When you turn in a card, they should give you a credit so the renewal is cheaper. That way it promotes turning in a card. Charging more sucks though.

You can file your card on line.... FYI .. Get to it the same way you buy a license...