Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVL Trout Report 1-3-13

Default DVL Trout Report 1-3-13

So my dad and i decided to head out to DVL for some trout fishing thursday morning. We got there around 8:00am. As we got to our spot we could see a couple trout cruising the shoreline. We got set up and threw out to rods with inflated night crawlers. Then we set up our jig rods and started casting as some groups of trout swam by. They wanted nothing to do with our jigs. All of a sudden we saw much larger trout start swimming by and bigger schools. They had just stocked and there was trout everywhere. They just would swim by our night crawlers and our jigs and were acting funny. After a couple hours they started to settle down and they started chasing our jigs but most wouldnt bite. Finally i hook into the first fish was a nice 1.5 lb trout. Then my dad hooked up and it was another 1.5 lber. It took lots of work to catch them but we did. Had to keep changing colors to get them to bite. We ended up catching our limits and most were caught on jigs. One trout was caught on a dropshoted powerworm. The biggest fish of the day was caught by my dad and it was pushing 3 lbs. All fish were nice size. We had a lot of fun and it was a nice day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0550.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	38522  

Good job out there! way to stay patient and not give up on those fish.

Very solid day! Good job changing it up so they didn't get bored....

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by riverside_angler View Post
    Good job out there! way to stay patient and not give up on those fish.
    Thanks. Yeah it took some work but it paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by HawgStalker View Post
    Very solid day! Good job changing it up so they didn't get bored....

Thanks for sharing!
    Yeah they were very picky on what colors they would bite. I had to keep changing until i got them to bite again.

what did you jig with? cause i thought jigging was using a powerworm on a dropshot rig.. haha im confused. please explain

Quote Originally Posted by Jbfish View Post
    what did you jig with? cause i thought jigging was using a powerworm on a dropshot rig.. haha im confused. please explain
    I was using a mini jig or also known as a crappie jig. Using a powerworm on a dropshot rig is known as dropshotting.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc89 View Post
    I was using a mini jig or also known as a crappie jig. Using a powerworm on a dropshot rig is known as dropshotting.
    do you use the little jigs with the feather on the end? or just the jig head? and do you add anything to the hook? thanks for the help

do you use the little jigs with the feather on the end? or just the jig head? and do you add anything to the hook? thanks for the help
    No i did not. I used tube jigs. I didnt add anything to the hook.

Two completely different animals imho. Id say "ds" is bush league and jigging is the pros...The ds doesnt even come close to fishing with a jig... Dropshotting is one step above bait & wait and is just as boring, all you do is drag it on the bottom...ohhh how fun, theyll even hit it deadsticked, which means u dont even have to be holding the rod lol... the most skillful attribute one can have is the patience to let it sit there after a slight twitch. The bites are no where near as violent as the jig, and the overall interst level is as low as the worm in the water column...but maybe thats just the sportsman in me. To each his own tho and fish whatever works for ya...dont feel bad tho, its too common a mistake

....Way to slay mjc89

@ jbfish....these are jigs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130106_020325.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	38532
    Last edited by gamekiller; 01-06-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast