Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Line for Shimano Cardiff 400A trolling reel

Default Line for Shimano Cardiff 400A trolling reel

Hey guys, first time poster here. I hope I can get some help from you more experienced fisherman. I have a 7' Cabelas med. action whuppin stick with a Shamano Cardiff 400A levelwind reel that I intend to use for striper fishing in Lake Havasu and hopefully some big trout fishing int he Sierras next spring. My question is what type of line should I be using. I've tried lead core line and it was a pain in the neck so now I'm thinking maybe braid with a fluro leader? If this sounds right, what pound test braid and fluro leader should I use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Patrick

If you want to topline for big sierra trout and you want to put out 200 or so feet of line behind the boat I would go with 30 to 40 pound braid and an 8 pound flouro leader if you are top lining big plugs. Not sure about havasu stripers but leadcore might be better because you can get more depth. However, if you plan on using a down rigger, I have no clue and therwigjt be bettwr line set ups. Hope this helps some.

It all varies, flat lining, topshot, u rigs, swimbaits, structures....

I'd run 25 lb great quality mono or 65 lb braid {power pro only} Just me though. I'd rather buy nice line that buy twice line..

A tip to also prolong the life of line, and I only do it with power pro is after a year reverse the line on the spool. Works well with power pro and I can get 2 years atleast of heavy use. probably 5 years if light use

Depending on what your doing of course.