Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Question re Shimano Chronarch drag washers

Default Question re Shimano Chronarch drag washers

So, I took my Chronarch 200e7 apart to perform routine maintenance for the first time since buying it. I bought this reel second hand but with box, etc.

I had previously bought carbontex drag washers when I first purchased the reel so that I can do some upgrades, but never got around to it. Might as well replace the drag washers right? So while cleaning and lubing the reel, I got to the washers and noticed something funny. The outer drag washer was the standard dartanium washer. BUT -- the inner washer was carbon fiber...exactly like the replacement washers I had bought. When I bought this reel, it came sealed in the box with no evidence of tampering.

Question: does the Chronarch come stock with carbon fiber drag washers?

Take a picture of your drag washers then and post it. If you bought the reel used, then it looks like the previous owner already installed a set of carbontex drags for you. Shimano's dartainium drag is very noticeable and leaves a residue on your drive gear which I hate, but I cannot complain about it's smoothness.

I've never serviced that particular reel before but I would have to agree that the previous owner probably switched that drag. BTW I hate Shimano's stock drags. They're freekin cheap and they suck. I always switch out my Shimano drags with carbontex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MindBendo View Post
    BTW I hate Shimano's stock drags. They're freekin cheap and they suck. I always switch out my Shimano drags with carbontex.
    It's cuz you forgot to add a little manteca to those washers.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    It's cuz you forgot to add a little manteca to those washers.

LOL and don't forget to oil your bearings with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MindBendo View Post
    LOL and don't forget to oil your bearings with this stuff.

I only use JDM.