Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Matt...help please

Default Matt...help please

So I just bought a couple of the bass pro shops xps walker top water lures and when I tried them out they were a bit off. Instead I of lying flat in the water they sit straight up and down in the water when their not moving. My question is, are they known to do that or did I get a couple of bad ones? Also if that is natural how do I adapt my retrieve to keep them working properly? Thanks Jason.

If i may. I believe thats Bass pro shops knock off of the Lucky Craft Sammy Topwater Lures . If it is then yes they will sit almost straight up with the head out of the water when you stop them.

you could try to add an extra split ring to the front hook? or just change out to a bigger hook in the front? might be just enough to get it right.

by having the back weighted it allows the bait to dig on the pull and move more water which helps it walk

the technique is known as walking the dog. you tube it and you will see how to properly retrieve the lure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jburgess1912 View Post
    So I just bought a couple of the bass pro shops xps walker top water lures and when I tried them out they were a bit off. Instead I of lying flat in the water they sit straight up and down in the water when their not moving. My question is, are they known to do that or did I get a couple of bad ones? Also if that is natural how do I adapt my retrieve to keep them working properly? Thanks Jason.
    i've never used the xps version, so no first hand info, but it sounds to me the bait is sitting normal. everything that was mentioned by the other members is pretty much dialed. the bait is modeled after the sammy while slightely different. more of a banana scoop shape as opposed to a streamlined shape.

if you're going to "walk the dog" as the term is called here's a basic presentation.

while you can fish just about any line at your disposal, try and avoid fluorocarbon. mono or braid will float and will be better choices allowing you to manipulate the bait while fluorocarbon sinks making it extremely annoying trying to keep your bait running true without just planing out or dragging straight across the surface.

1. after you've made your cast, allow the ripples to clear and wind tight until you feel the weight of your lure.

2. while reeling to keep tension with your lure, twitch the rod tip slightly allowing you to walk your plug forward. make sure you allow the bait to move on its own power by giving it slack. for every twitch of the rod the bait should move one direction or the other.

3. once your bait has walked out one direction or the other, repeat the process and your bait should walk back the opposite direction. with a proper cadence you can keep it going smooth. speed the cadence up or slow the cadence down. allow the fish to tell you what they want. play around with altering speeds and you can make the baits do some pretty wild stuff.

4. keep it walking.