Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there really a difference between the gold and bronze treble hooks for trout?

I honestly think this is a mistake by the website. I believe they mis-read the label and mistook "24 count , gold" for "24 karat gold"

Ok, here is my answer:

You are correct. They are "real gold." Actually, they are "real gold" plated. Gold is extremely malleable and can be pounded out extremely thin. They use the ultra-thin plating on the hooks for them to be more rust free. That is pretty much it. If there are incidental benefits such as them being lighter or more shiny, well, that may be a benefit worth noting too.

A bit of advice though, when you post a picture of your proof that your claim is substantiated, make sure you examine it. The picture of the packaging clearly states in the specifications section right below it that the hooks are "gold plated." This is simply not the same as "real gold" as one normally understands it. Gold is around 1,375 to 1,400 dollars an ounce. I do not know the weight of these hooks, but if they were pure gold, they would not be selling at $2 a pack. Also, as a veteran member pointed out, gold is extremely soft and malleable. If these were pure gold, they would be a poor choice in hook material.

Hope this answers your question. Now go out there and catch yourself a gold(en) trout!
    Last edited by skunked4life; 04-16-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    I honestly think this is a mistake by the website. I believe they mis-read the label and mistook "24 count , gold" for "24 karat gold"
    if you check the labeling again, you will see that there is a qty (quantity) of 25. the "24 ct. gold" appears after that. And this is just one example, there are many other brands that have the gold plated "24 karat" labeling.

http://gobstock.com/mustad-s-treble-...ks-5-pack.html
    Last edited by chindofoo; 04-16-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Ok, here is my answer:

You are correct. They are "real gold." Actually, they are "real gold" plated. Gold is extremely malleable and can be pounded out extremely thin. They use the ultra-thin plating on the hooks for them to be more rust free. That is pretty much it. If there are incidental benefits such as them being lighter or more shiny, well, that may be a benefit worth noting too.

A bit of advice though, when you post a picture of your proof that your claim is substantiated, make sure you examine it. The picture of the packaging clearly states in the specifications section right below it that the hooks are "gold plated." This is simply not the same as "real gold" as one normally understands it. Gold is around 1,375 to 1,400 dollars an ounce. I do not know the weight of these hooks, but if they were pure gold, they would not be selling at $2 a pack. Also, as a veteran member pointed out, gold is extremely soft and malleable. If these were pure gold, they would be a poor choice in hook material.

Hope this answers your question. Now go out there and catch yourself a gold(en) trout!
    I feel so fly Im gona use a 24 karat gold plated treble hook to catch me a golden trout from the golden state (which is the state fish of CA no doubt).

That's what I thought about the hooks being rust free, but then I thought: why are the gold plated hooks seemingly only available in size 14-18. Why haven't we seen gold plated other style hooks?

I stand corrected. They really are gold plated...

Some people posted on this board that brass is safer when you release fish with the hook inside of them ... I don't have any facts ... ???

The fact that many people laughed and made fun of the idea of there being gold hooks adds to my original point, that gold hooks are freakin ridiculous, so appalled.

For me there is a huge difference. Somehow I catch more fish using the bronze ones than the gold ones.

Maybe bronze looks more natural?

The consensus seems to be that bronze hooks are better than gold hooks. There are many questions in life that one may never know the answer to. One such question is, why are there 24 karat gold plated treble hooks for trout? The mystery continues....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast