Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimbait reels?

Default Swimbait reels?

Hey guys, i have been introduced to the wide wonderful world of swimbaits hahah i have a nice pole now all i need is a reel, i wish i could afford a shimano calcutta TE, but the truth of the matter is i gotta get something cheaper. I have kinda narrowed it down between two, the abu garcia ambassador (C3 or C4) or the shimano cardiff....anyone own one of these< have any problems? Any other suggestions welcome......

(btw i will be throwing bbz's, hudds, tripple trouts, etc., big baits for the most part)

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanx14 View Post
    Hey guys, i have been introduced to the wide wonderful world of swimbaits hahah i have a nice pole now all i need is a reel, i wish i could afford a shimano calcutta TE, but the truth of the matter is i gotta get something cheaper. I have kinda narrowed it down between two, the abu garcia ambassador (C3 or C4) or the shimano cardiff....anyone own one of these< have any problems? Any other suggestions welcome......

(btw i will be throwing bbz's, hudds, tripple trouts, etc., big baits for the most part)

Christian
    Cardiff's are cool! I've owned 3 in the past and i used them everywhere. I did brake one in the ocean...got snaged fishing 40 lb braid, but that was prob my fault. For the price i highly recommend the reel. If u get one, get the 300 it the perfect size. Honestly though, u would be better of getting a used curado or luna. They're far better reels for not to much more $.
    Last edited by cave; 04-22-2013 at 02:55 AM.

I started with an Ambassadeur C4. Not bad for the price. Look at the Diawa Lexa 300 also the Revo Toro. Both are more money than the Ambassadeur, but better.

I too have gotten caught up in the swim bait craze. I bought the Shimano Cardiff 400 and absolutely love it. I've had it for 4 months now and once you get the brakes dialed in it cast like a charm. Highly recommend it.

If you cant afford a TE then the Curado 300 series is a good choice. I noticed a couple of them in the for sale section.

Curado 300e no doubt!!! i use a Okuma guide select xh and a 300e for all my big baits..The 300e holds a good amount of braid and doesnt weight much which is nice when your throwing heavy baits all day which can ware on you toward the end of the day

thanks to all of you for the info, i will deff check out the curado

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanx14 View Post

Christian
    I have a Cardiff 400a. Its a sick reel but ive heard throwing the big baits can and will blow it up sooner than expected. Personally I would Just get the Abu. Buy it from wal-fart so when it falls into a billion pieces at the lake you can just pick up a new one. Thats just me.

HELP!!!!

im getting the reel sent to me on the 15th and i dont know what to load it up with ........here is the cap. for the reel Line Capacity: 14/245
    Braid Capacity: 30/330

I am stuck between 60lb braid or 35lb mono.....i will be throwing 6-9in baits in fairly strong current for stripers

I use 70# Daiwa Samurai Braid I believe it's 14# dia. I fish mine straight braid to lure but you could just tie on whatever leader you want. I like the insurance of the braid , especially when you're slinging pricey baits. Good luck buddy!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast