Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Drop Shot using braid

Default Drop Shot using braid

Any of you guys drop shot for bass using braided line. If so what test line you use. Do you tie a top shot on it or go straight.

i personally never have fished a drop shot with braid.. for me drop shotting is a light line typa deal ( 6# fluro ) but if i was to do this i would probly just run braid the whole way thru..id say give mono or fluro a shot and leave the braid for froggin and swimbaitin
    Last edited by gogreeenz4; 05-06-2013 at 11:43 AM.

I started using braid for dropshotting about 2 years ago. Over the past 6 months or so, I've switched over to the Nanofil line from Berkley. When I first started, I tied on about a 4 foot leader of 4lb flouro to the end of the braid using the smallest swivel I could find. Finally learned to tie the Uni to Uni knot.

Absolutely love using the super lines for dropshotting. I only have one spinning reel spooled with straight flouro. I have it to allow friends of mine to use because using the super lines on spinning tackle has a small learning curve. Had a friend out to DVL about 2 weeks ago. When I'd go to assist him with his hang ups, I was amazed at the difference in feel (stretch) between the superlines and the straight flouro.

Take the time to learn a good line to line knot and give either braid or Nanofil a shot. Since the superlines have a smaller diameter, you can get heavier test with smaller diameter. When I was using braid, I used 10lb (4lb diameter) Suffix 832. Now I'm using 8lb Nanofil.

Good luck.

Another tip: I've started using a much longer leader (at least 8-10 feet long). Now, when i get hung up, I typically can get the Uni to Uni knot all the way into the reel spool before pulling on the snag. I rarely broke off my leader before, but by making the leader longer, I never break off the leader.