Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Float Tube

Default Float Tube

I am heading up to the sierras in about a week and was thinking about trying float tube fishing. Whats a good starter tube, don`t want to spend alot, but of course I want something decent. I`m 6' 1" and about 205 lb`s. It looks like the open front tubes are more popular than the round, whats the pros and cons. Sport chalet has the Caddis Nevada tube for 79.95 and Bass pro has their White River Lost lake tubes in a combo with pump and fins for 109.95. I have waders with the neoprene booties and wading boots, so do you use the fins with the boots or do you just put them over the booties.
    Thanks

Here's where your going to get "force fins", dive fins or other more powerful fins from many on this site. They are not necessary for many/most of the waters in the Sierra's (excluding of course Crowley but for a first time tuber I wouldn't suggest Crowley). But the downfall of many of those fins is that they do not accept a wading boot therefore if you want to take a shore break you have to bring a pair of shoes or sandles along. You will be FINE with the cheaper fins that they include in the packages, although I am not a fan of the kind you have to tie up I'd much prefer buckles and I'm afraid that the Lost Lake fins that are included are the ones with laces.

You might want to go with the Caddis and pick up a pair of other fins.

You will also get "if you spend a little more, like 70 or 80 bucks you can get a much better tube", this can be said of any purchase and if your budget is a little over 100 bucks just realize that you will be sitting lower in the water (especially at 205) and because of that make sure you have layered up underneath, you will be colder of course this time of the year in the Sierra's when you are deeper in the water.

But you will have fun!

Is that what makes the fish cats more expensive, the better seating that gets you above the water?
    Any other reasonable brands that have that kind of seat setup?
    Thanks again

ODC420 but it is just slightly cheaper than the FC4, but either of those are excellent choices if you can make the financial jump. I have both but just slightly prefer the ODC over the FC4.

You can't go wrong with a Fishcat or ODC420. Not only do you sit higher, but these tubes have the PVC bottoms that makes them more rugged than other tubes. IMO, they are also faster in the water compared to tubes where you sit lower. As for fins, I've never been a fan of those you have to lace up. Hotspots, Force Fins, and dive fins seems to be the norm. I recommend using wading boots to save the soles of the booties from wear. A pair of Flats boots from Bass Pro works well with all fins I have tried.

Check out the classic accessories tubes,they have some pretty good tubes that are a bit less than the odc & fc4.i own the cumberland & its an awesome tube for the price.