Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
You may not get much in the way of accurate information from this or other So Cal forums. We have been used as pawns for those who wish to close the entire marine area to private local fisherman. Last year 2 persons posed as "writing" college reports on local fishing for certain species and later we found out that they were working for the closure crazy Marine protection group. Sorry but for me I after the closures that went into place this year, I don't share much about where and how i fish.
Thanks for your comment - I appreciate the advice. Given your experience with fisheries management/environmental groups, I completely understand any distrust around surveys like this one. That said, we have no regulatory objectives, but are hoping to better understand what happens when anglers encounter sharks, both purposefully and as bycatch - the survey questions relate to species, gear, handling, etc - as well as attitudes about conservation and management. Well over 90% of sharks that are caught in the US are released alive and in good condition and we want to know how fishing techniques are supporting survival.

We hope to share the results of this survey through scientific and popular media. We will also send the results directly to the organizations that have helped distribute the survey and any individuals that request the information. There is a contact email address for me at the end of the survey (which you do not have to fill out to get to) and I would be happy to answer any questions that you have about the purpose of the survey or the survey questions.

Thanks,
Kate