Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: surf fishing gear (I hope this the right place to post this)

Default surf fishing gear (I hope this the right place to post this)

Hi everyone,
    I am off to start a new thing, surf fishing! I have quality fresh and salt water gear most of which are custom made Calstar rods for salt and loomis/shimano rods for fresh. With that said, I am looking for information about surf fishing gear. I used to take my cumara/culcatta dc setup to the beach and cast from there... That's the only experience with surf fishing that I have. Now, because of time restrictions due to work ( I prefer to be on a boat, who wouldn't?) , I want to get more surf fishing time ( beach is a skip and hop away from where I'm at ) but this time using the " proper" gear.

So here's my question:
    Recommendation for a " proper" surf rod, say 12' and up. I don't like to use folding or multi piece rods but because of the length of " proper" surf rods, I'll make an exemption on this one.
    I will mate the rod to a Shimano Stella SWB STL10000SWBPG (American version) , (mine will be the Japanese version don't know if there are differences besides cosmetic) so needless to say, spinning rod needed.

Please reply with recommend rod:

Make
    Model
    and, if you have actually used it, feedback.

Budget? I'm pretty much open to most anything as long as I can justify the cost. ( like... its expensive because its as heavy as a LC110 lure... Or because its custom built or ....)

Thanks

You should also post this on the Surf Bay section. Several Surf reports available including gear if you look through the hundreds of posts in that section.

Where are you fishing? somewhere in the east coast?

I feel too many people worry too much about gear. Retailers love you guys.$$$
    Too much 'look at me' competition.
    Just fish. 'Run What U Brung.'
    DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 07-18-2013 at 06:55 AM.

What are you fishing for?
    There are long rod guys, short rod bait and wait guys and there are short rod cast and retrieve guys.
    When I say short, I mean 8'6" and under.
    I use a clarus 2 piece, 7'6", light power, fast action.
    I use a saros 2500 and 4000. I spool it with P-line from 8-12 pound.
    Robert
    <><