Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats this fish? Safe to eat?

Spanish Mackerel, Pacific Scad, or Aji in Japanese. Those guys make for some killer sashimi!

spanish mack is reallllly good sashimi, but not sure i would try it off the pier ones.

do they get bigger?

Redondo water is pretty clean. The Redondo Canyon starts right outside the harbor and drops several hundred feet deep. Lots of Krill comes up and Whales feed off shore. Mackerel run offshore and do not live there lives in the harbors all there lives. LA/LB Harbor is much dirtier.

People eat supermarket/restaurant fish all day every day thinking it is safe and clean even though they usually have no clue where it comes from. Go down to Ports O Call for fresh fish ? LOL. Look out by the dumpsters and the boxes of Tilapia and other crap fish come from overseas. Some of those fish farms in Asia feed the fish all kind of crap with little regulations.

Harbor fish that don't move around much are more risky. White Croaker, Opaleye, other perch have more risk of contaminants.

Go for it.
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post

do they get bigger?
    Those Pacific Spanish get about a foot. East coast gets big King Macs.
    Wahoo are Mackeral and get over 100 lbs.
    DR

i need those for striper bait.

I'm from FL and I haven't had a chance to fish here yet. I have to say, they don't look like the spanish macs I'm used to catching, man I've got some learning to do. lol

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Those Pacific Spanish get about a foot.
    DR
    I believe they get even larger than that actually. I've seen/heard of some as large as 20". Tasty stuff for sure!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12