Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Halibut conversion.

Default Halibut conversion.

I just caught up talking with a friend of mine today. He has had a heck of a month!!!! 3 San diego trips, 2 striper trips and a Newport bay halibut trip. He and his buddy got this halibut thing down pat. They have caught numerous DD halibut out of Newport bay this year. They caught a real big one this past Sunday on live Squid. The problem is their digital scale took a crap on them Sunday. So here is the question, they did measure the beast and it was 41 inches long and had good girth on her. How big in pounds, might a 41 inch halibut be????

Depending upon the girth, i would say a range between 25 pounds to 28 pounds.
    Last edited by skunked4life; 08-27-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks, His guess was about 25 lbs, so he was in the ballpark.

I'm going take the charts weight of 31 lbs. This due to the bay having a ton of bait, (grunion) in it for the last month or longer. The Butt would of foraged well on the bait and be close to maximum weight. Now I'M going to spool some 12lb test and leave the 6 lb. at home.

I have a buddy that has been doing well as of late in SD bay. His two largest went 40 inches and weighed 23lbs. His second went 42 inches and weighed 31lbs. When they get that big, those inches make a huge difference. The second one was thick as well.

Just saw 3butts brought in to weigh in Morro Bay Tuesday, one 26lbs,one 29 lbs,and one 37. Sweet!

Cya TunaVic