Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Are the bonito back in KH?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Are the bonito back in KH?

Just wondered if they were back in king harbor out in Redondo Beach. Read a report on it and was hoping maybe they are making a return. I might go down on sunday if anyone is catching them. Thanks.

Respond on DR's report for answers to your questions!

SP dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

Those Tuna can go 50 miles+ a day.
    Hit or miss and mostly misses the last decade.
    I have had 20 + straight skunks with just occasional good mackerel sessions BUT when it is good it is really fun on light gear for some serious drag burners. I'll fish usually 20 minutes to one hour on a typical session after work. LC, Kroc then Kastmaster and sometimes a clear bubble 1/2 full of water with a 8' leader and a fly.

The day after the sardines died a couple years ago when they were chased into the shallow corner of the harbor was EPIC ! Every single cast was a hookup. Landed 50 + huge 26" Mackerel and 7 Bonito. Ended up using a iron jig with a single hook for faster C&R. Myself and a friend Shawn were the only ones fishing.
    When you quite fishing after 1 1/2 hours because you tired of catching so many fish that is the best it gets.

It was insane. That's why I check almost everyday and usually don't fish, just a quick look.
    I look for Birds, Bait, Seals and Steam. That is the key (tip) to KH fishing on the rocks. Birds sitting on the breakwall and seals sleeping on the seal platform = usually not much Mackerel/Bonito action.
    DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 09-13-2013 at 09:29 PM.

For you guys that have never fished or seen the popper method.

This video below shows Old School Bubble Popper Fly Fishing Style how they did it in the 1960's 70's in KH.
    Spinning reels is what guys use and with the heavy bubble and 8 lb to 15 lb main line and 6 lb test leader.
    Some guys use a 3' to 4' length leader, others 6' to 12'. Best with a 10' 12' rod. With the bubble about 1/2 to 3/4 full of water and log rod you can cast 100' to 150'. With the long leader you have to lay the fly and line on a flat rock behind you on the backstroke of the cast. This is wher the long rod is a advantage.

I use my 8' 6" spinner rod that is always in my car 24/7 always stored in a bent position.

The splash simulates a surface strike and gets the attention of the fish around the area. They swim by to investigate then see the fly go by they attack it.

Am I the only one on FNN that still fishes this method in 2013 ?
    I bet Jerry fished the bubble back in the day ?
    DR

Last edited by DockRat; 09-13-2013 at 10:15 PM.

I havnt fished that rig for a long time .Do you remember TC bait and tackle Tim

I remember TC. Didn't fish much SW back then just surfed and free/scuba diving with a speargun and lobster.

You called it Martin.. The bubble and feather was my go to back in the day. I used to tie my own bonito feathers and I would fish an 11' rod with either a bubble or a home made splasher.

I would tie a feather 4' behind my bubble or splasher, then I would tie a second feather 18" behind the first one and then I would tie a third feather 18" behind the second one. I used the triple feather rig when the smaller bonito were around but when the big boys rolled in I would use a single feather. The triple feather rig got bit better than the single and if I didn't get a double or triple hook up on initially I would free spool and the let the bonita swim back to the school pulling the feathers along with him.. Triple almost every time.. Those were the days..

There was a guy last week with the exact same rig you explained, he had pre tied rigs wrapped around a paper towel center. Seen guys use a larger sabiki rigs too.

Couple years ago when the Bonito were in most tossed the single and a few had the multi feather. I've always tossed the single and not trying the multi but your methods have me wanting to get serious about trying it.

The problem with the long rod is too stiff for me since I prefer light action and more of a noodle stick because the bones have been smaller the last few years.

It is all about the fight for myself and drag burners.
    Mark Wisch owner of Pacific Edge and a charter captain has a few books out.
    In his latest book Between Two and Twenty Fathoms
    Second Edition which I picked he writes that in So Cal Bonito are the hardest fighting fish pound for pound.

Haven't surf fished all summer just boat and jetty. I really have no interest at this at this time in my life to target halibut anymore and want to get back to some real fishing action. Not meaning to disrespect surf fishermen just tired of it personally and would rather do something else.

Check this kid (east coast) same action as west coast Bonito.

Yes the Bones have been in the King Harbor, but u gotta find them. I've seen a couple larger models caught recently, one being on the Short Pier. If u really want some bones, u might have the best luck on a boat or float tube.

-brian

Thanks for the Intel Bman. Float tubes are illegal in KH. If you see the cops down there tell them them DR said and leave us fishermen alone.

I support Cops but then they pull that Bullsh!t and wrote that illegal ticket I got so pissed off that there would be no stopping me to fight RBPD and the city to win and make sure the area remains open to all fishermen.